Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blower Motor Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Default Blower Motor Stopped Working

Hi Folks. This is my first post. I have a 2001 Civic LX and my blower motor for AC & Heat has stopped working. It doesn't work on any setting. I checked the fuses and all seem to be ok. My first instinct is to check the switch, but I hate to start taking the dash apart if I don'thave to. Plus, the dash is so sleak I hardly know where to start to get to the switch and I'd hate to mess up my dash by breaking plastic fasteners. Any suggestions on what next?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Blower Motor Stopped Working

Relay in the engine bay fuse/relay box. Check the one for the "Heater Motor Relay" (there should be a diagram on top of the box). Mine just went bad and i just replaced the relay and i'm all set now, hopefully it's your problem too

Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Find the motor under the right end of the dash (may need to remove a trim panel from the bottom) and test if power is reaching it. If you have 12v between the two pins on the motor plug but it doesn't run, the motor is bad.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks FlipHKD720! It was the relay!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM

I have just run into this problem, two days ago the same thing happened, cranked the car up, rolled the windows down to let the hot air out of the car, turned the a/c on and within 10 seconds, the blower shut off. I have looked at the relay in the box under the hood, and it looked fine, even switched it out with another 40 amp relay still no luck. This afternoon I checked the voltage going to the motor at the plug, and had 12 volts. So I pulled the motor and hooked it straight up to the battery for a 12 volt source and it about jumped out of my hand when it started spinning. SO I hooked it back up to the plug and when I turned the key to start, you could see it try to spin, like it was getting curent to the motor, but nothing after that.

I have determined that it is not the motor or the relay. The vent motor and outside air vent motor cycle. Does anyone know what else could be causing this, like maybe another relay somewhere behind the dash, or could it be the actual fan selector switch on the dash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Well after further invesigation on the internet, found that the Blower motor transistior/resistor was blown. Replaced it and it works fine.Thanks for all the help that nobody gave on this site.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: crazyjag

Well after further invesigation on the internet, found that the Blower motor transistior/resistor was blown. Replaced it and it works fine.Thanks for all the help that nobody gave on this site.
is there a need to get upset because no one responded to your post?some people.