Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a big wet problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 AM
HCF Member
Default a big wet problem

ok so for months now i have been having problems with rain water getting into my car somehow... first of all since the first rain of the season the trunk of my car has been damp... (sometimes when i lift up the trunk water drips from the lid everywhere as if it were condensation) also the front passenger side got wet once and never dried out... i then pulled all the carpet and discovered lake civic . my friend told me he felt it dripping on his foot one time but the guy is a compulsive lier so idk if he was just ****ing with me... anyways any ideas would be nice

Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 AM

If it were my car, I'd pull the seats out, pull the carpet out, shampoo it, and let it all dry. Then I'd sit in the empty car with the doors closed and have a friend spray it down with a water hose. That would simulate rain and you might be able to find a specific place where the water is leaking in. Similar thing with the trunk. Put the back seats down and get in there with a flash light while someone sprays the car down. Check for obvious leaks.

If the whole waterhose thing isn't for you, then you should examine all of your door seals and your trunk seal. You might even look at the seals around the windshields. If any of them look damaged or degraded, you can try to repair them or just replace them outright.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

Water in the trunk could be a couple things. Usually leaking tail light gaskets (the foam gaskets behind the tail lights) or sunroof drain tubes if the car has a sun roof. Sometimes it the trunk seal but very rare for that to leak.

Water dripping on the passenger floorboard could indicate a bad heater core and its leaking coolant onto the floorboard. Or you have a hole in your firewall somewhere and rain water running down the firewall is coming in.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

I am getting water in the driver side floor front and back I ran a wire down the sunroof drain any ideas

Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 PM

My girlfriends car had the wet floor on driver side front and back. I found that when the mazda dealership replaced the hood release cable they did not put the rubber gromet in place and water was just folowing the cable inside the car. There were some other gromets there, you might want to look there for leaks.