Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

The best "special" tools in your toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up The best "special" tools in your toolbox?

As I was working on my DX this past weekend, I realized how much I love the "special" tools in my toolbox and was wondering what some of your favorites are.

The things that I have that come in handy on a regular basis are:
A butane soldering iron - portable, lightweight, wireless, and adjustable heat (that can get really hot for those big wires) has helped me tremendously.

A "hammer-style" impact wrench for those tough-to-remove-without-stripping screws.

The smallest size crochet needle they make - this thing is awesome for removing clips (like from the manual window handle), gaskets, etc. I have used this more than you would possibly think. (I will always remember this one too because I was in WalMart buying it to get out a tiny seat gasket out of a lawnmower carb when my wife called me to tell me that she was in labor with our daughter, now 3. And yes I still waited in line and bought it before I left - she was pretty T.O.'d but it all worked out)

Multimeter - if you do not know how to use one and do not have one - it is easy and cheap and helps with loads of applications.

A dremel with an exteded flexible attachment for greater access to tight spaces.

One of those little LED headband light things - I have worked in plenty of engines with just this light bc I do not usually get home from work before it gets dark and I do not have a garage, sadly.

A broken 3 ft torque wrench someone gave me. The head no longer turns at all, but I use it as a breaker - it has great leverage.

So what about everyone else? Surely there are some secret weapons in your arsenal that others can benefit from?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I like baling wire & duct tape myself. A big hammer (like an 8lb) when things must fit.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM
HCF Member

four foot pipe with a hollow 2 inch or so diameter, super long breaker bar so my weak skinny asian muscles can loosen bolts.

came in handy when replacing exhaust, coilovers, and swaybars the most

Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 AM

My favorite garage tools:

Air tools-- a big air impact wrench for big bolts, a 3/8 drive ratchet, and a simple nossle for blowing out passages, hoses, etc.

Wash tank for cleaning grease and grime.

Bench grinder with a wire brush for more cleaning and rust removal.

Tap and die set for refreshing and cutting new threads.

Good lights and cords. I have four 8' flourescent fixtures each with four 4 ft bulbs, a hanging retractable work light, a couple flashlights and a LED light on a head strap. I also have three hanging extension cords.

A Blitz drip pan to keep the floor clean.

Cardboard for working under cars.

Overhauls I can slip on and strip off to keep the dirt out of the house.

An old laptop to store reference materials or do a quick search.

A nice stereo and IPOD.

Still need a better A/C though--the window unit I have is just too small.

Kontoboy