Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery Light on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Default Battery Light on?

SO recently my car was flashing its battery light when ever i shifted gears and when ever going into neutral to stop, it went away. upon my dash bored, and so i changed the alternator.
after changing it, when i turned the car back on, the battery light permanently stays on, i went to autozone and i spoke with a guy who builds civics and he told me it isnt the battery for its giving 14V 0.o?? and he told me to change the main relay for it might send some bad errors, but it wasent that either.

any other suggestions anyone?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Main relay has nothing to do with it. The "battery" light is wired directly to the alternator and absolutely nothing else. If you unplug the 4 wire plug from the alternator and turn the key on, the light should stay out. If it still comes on, the wire is shorted to ground somewhere. 1996 model of course has the fraying wires behind the engine the so called "fuse 15 problem."

Autozone also sells a lot of dud alternators. Have them bench test it. If it is indeed the alternator and you still have your old one I'd suggest just get your money back and go to a real parts store.

Last edited by mk378; 08-02-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have the alternator tested. That's typically the problem when the charge light turns on. If fuse 15 blows, the charge light won't turn on at all.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Yeah, I unplugged it and the battery light stayed off. When I plugged it back on, it was back on. But, before purchasing the alternator, they said it passed the test for I asked them to test before I purchased it. Along with that, I asked them if they can test my old one to see if it was worth it, and they said my old alternator failed its test. So it was the alternator. Now the person who I spoke with told me that the battery fuse might be the problem, does that make sense?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should check the battery fuse, but I don't think that makes the light come on. There would be no charging with the fuse blown. The fuse is almost certain to blow if someone tries to R&R the alternator without disconnecting the battery first.

Have you checked the wires on your car for the fuse 15 problem? This is where the wiring harness on the back of the engine gets frayed and shorts to ground on the intake manifold bracket. If the wire for the light (one of the wires in that harness) shorts to ground the light will come on as a false alarm.

The #1 rule of rebulit parts, especially chain store ones, is never ever turn in your "core" part until AFTER the new one is on the car and working.

Last edited by mk378; 08-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:19 AM

how can you tell which is the one that is shorten? all of then are within a black tube that goes pretty much up the intake around the engine, and near the drivers side strut tip.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to get under the car. The wires in question start at the alternator and go across the back of the engine, and merge into the big harness near the thermostat. The problem is where they rub on the bracket that holds the bottom of the intake manifold to the block.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
You have to get under the car. The wires in question start at the alternator and go across the back of the engine, and merge into the big harness near the thermostat. The problem is where they rub on the bracket that holds the bottom of the intake manifold to the block.
Ahh iight, ill try it out and see what's up with it. Thanks for the instructions man. Ill let u know what I see in the next 6-7 hours or so.