Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery has no fluid in!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Default Battery has no fluid in!!!!!

My car seemed to not start in the mornings, once I'd driven around all day it seemed o.k, but more often than not in the morning it wouldnt start again! I took the battery off tonight to give it a slow charge over night and had a quick peek at the fluid levels, couldnt see a thing! tilted the battery to see if the fluid would show itself but nothing there! maybe theres a tiny amount in the bottom part where I cant see, the battery did seem to charge up during the day so there has to be a bit in there somewhere eh??
I have'nt got any thing to top it up with and was just wondering if you reckon the battery is worth replacing or just topping up with acid and distilled water????
or could I get away with some boiled water for now? would that even work??

cheers

Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Battery has no fluid in!!!!!

Battery is only good for about 3 years old so if it is older then replace it. Most newer car battery do not have a cap to add more distill water and if yours is like that then replace it. Many newer battery has a window on top that shows color so read the label near it to see if there is a color code for what the color stands for.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing the battery would be best; however, if you decide to add fluid, only add distilled water. Adding acid or boiled tap water will destroy the battery if it happens to be good, which seems unlikely.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

what about acid liquid for batteries. Auto zone sells especial acid to refill them

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Civic Si 00

what about acid liquid for batteries. Auto zone sells especial acid to refill them
Typically, the level of the battery fluid, which is an acid solution, is reduced over time by evaporation of only water. Therefore, it is normally unnecessary or even harmful to add anything but pure (distilled) water to a battery low on fluid.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM

My feeling is that if the battery has already run dry, it's too late to save it.

+1 on the new battery.