Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??

like i can pop the clutch or jump it, but what am i looking for

Old 08-26-2007, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

You will need a multimeter. Switch the multimeter to the volts mode. Put one of the leads on the positive terminal and one on the negative terminal(you can match the colors if you like but it will only change the sign of the output). Make sure the engine is on when you connect the leads. Look at the voltage. If the voltage is 13.5V or higher, your alternator is charging the battery. If the voltage is lower than 13.5V, the alternator is not charging the battery.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

ok kool thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

if there is any way you can get the car up to autozone have them do a full electrical check. they can test the alternator and the battery just like everyone has been saying

Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cordobess

the best way to check ur alternator.. is.. turning of ur engine. when u got ur engine start. disconnect the positive of the batery.. if the car die.. the problem is the alternator, if the car stay on when u disconnect the batery.. the problem is the batery.. if u take the positive of and the alternator is good.. u engine keep running.
NO!!!!
Doing that to a modern car can ruin thousands of dollars worth of various electrical parts.

If you don't have a voltmeter, there is a safe zero-dollar way to see if your alternator is charging. Start the car and turn on the headlights. This works best at night when you can see the light easily. Now leave the lights on while you turn off the engine. If the lights get slightly dimmer, the charging system is OK. If the lights stay the same brightness the alternator is not working.

This may not work with HID lights because the ballast regulates the power to the bulb regardless of the voltage from the battery. But you can watch other lights like the dome light or the brake lights.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

alright took it to my local shop and it was the wierdest thing, civic alternators are suppost to put out 14 amps, but for some reaslon mine was putting out 20 amps, so this literally fried my batter so now i have to pay for an alternator and battery.[:@]

Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

what? ya mean volts? cause the alt is designed for 70amps....
but that does suck non the less! just cross your fingers and hope it didnt FRY EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

but if your HIDs wont turn on anymore ya might have killed the ballasts
what i would do is buy a new battery pop it in the car and test everything out WITHOUT THE MOTOR RUNNING! you dont want to run that motor with the alternator messed up like that! every second could be another second that fries your electronics!

definatly have your car towed if ya have to move it anywhere! or at least find the alternators charging wire that goes to the battery and unhook it ASAP! that way it cant try to charge your car at 20volts!
sounds to me like the internal regulator is shot.... i had that problem with my old impala overcharging and boiling the battery but its a oldschool so it didnt fry anything besides a few wires going to headlights got alittle crisp.....