Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 AM
HCF Member
Default BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??

Ok,i was driving around yesterday and then all of a sudden my hid lights started flickering like a strobe light and then boom there gone, my radio wouldnt work, and i definently couldnt start the car over again after that, so how do i know if the battery is bad or my alternator isnt working??

Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??

se if you can start the car and if it starts then after like 15 to 2min it cuts off then i would think altenater or altenater belt also take your battery to autozone or someplace like that and they ddo free battery testing.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

like yesterday i had to pop the clutch but after that i didnt have a problem with it running i just couldnt run anything like the radio or my head lights

Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Take the battery to Autozone and have it tested. If it's holding a charge, you have a bad alternator.

Another sign it's the alternator is that your battery warning light on the dash should have been lit for about 30 min (with your headlights on) before the headlights started flickering.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

yeah man just get the battery tested

Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Easy way to tell if your battery is bad or the alternator is to check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. If the voltage is under 13.5V, the problem is the alternator. You can try taking the battery into AutoZone, but they usually do battery load tests which requires the battery to be charged.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:32 PM

the best way to check ur alternator.. is.. turning of ur engine. when u got ur engine start. disconnect the positive of the batery.. if the car die.. the problem is the alternator, if the car stay on when u disconnect the batery.. the problem is the batery.. if u take the positive of and the alternator is good.. u engine keep running.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!
if you pull off the battery wire you will destroy the alternator!!!
DONT DO IT... thats the redneck way of testing which puts a huge load on the alternator! dont be stupid!
recharge the battery fully! then if a autozone or another autoparts store is close enough to you if you can drive thier with nothing BUT the motor runing and have them test the alternator and battery....
BUT most likely its your alternator.....
cause if it was a bad battery it wouldnt start overnight but if it was the alternator then it would cause your car to shut down during driving!

Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

like the car didnt shut down, but i could run the headlights or anything

Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
HCF Member

Do the voltmeter test if you can turn the engine on and have a meter. Its is the easiest test as it takes about 25 sec and will tell you the problem for sure.

Quick Reply: BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR??