Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

backfiring through intake...timing issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Default backfiring through intake...timing issue??

My 91 civic DX started sneezing back the the intake recently, whenever you put a load on it. Then it got real hard to start and kept sneezing throught the intake while starting. I assumed i had a timing problem. I put a light on it ( yes #1, and i jumped the connector), and sure enought it was off. I found the timing belt was also loose, so I thought it possible, the belt could have jumped a tooth. So I set the crank and cam to TDC, then retensioned the timing belt. But now, I just can't seem to get it to time right. The distributor doesn't move far enough to get the timing mark to align with the correct mark. And if I move the timing belt one tooth over on the cam, then the timing mark is too far the other way. (about 1/4" off each way). When the cars cold, it'll start all right now, but once it warms up, it just dies, then spits through the intake if you try to restart it.
I normally consider myself a decent mechanic, but I must be missing something here, because I just can't figure out whats wrong. Hopefully someone here can see the error of my ways . Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: backfiring through intake...timing issue??

i have never figured out why it is recommended to do static timing and then do dynamic timing.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 AM

you have to have the cam and crank timed together ( "static" timing), before you can time the spark to the correct degrees BTC ( "dynamic" timing).

Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

just do the static at the BDTC location. that's the way i do it.
you are then very close when you do the dynamic.
actually, i usually get it so "on", that the dynamic timing is not needed

Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

r u sure that you have it timed on the right mark? because there should be three, red, white, and yellow i believe. it should be on the red mark.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Well the colors are long gone, but it still doesn't come close to any of the 3 "colored" marks. The cam is timed to the Top Dead Center mark thats sitting a few degrees further from the 3 other timing marks.