Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Axle Nut

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Default Axle Nut

I am wondering what size the axle nut / spindle nut is on a 2007 Honda Civic. When it's time for brakes I'd like to know I have the right size socket. And for anyone who has taken them off before...what size breaker bar did you use? Are they extremely difficult to get off? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Default RE: Axle Nut

what are u doing to ur brakes? im not entirly sure but i think its 32mm. Honda punches all their axle nuts, u'll need to punch it out and then u'll be able to remove the nut. as for breaker bar, u may not need it being that its a new car, tho have one handy cuzu never know. i used a 2ft long breaker bar and about 210lbs guy to get my axle nut off but then again it was on there for year and years.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

idont know bout 07 but i used a 1 1/4 inch on my 95 dont c y theyd change that part of the car but even so that aint the right size itd be the equivelent in metric. but they r fairly hard to get off u gotta put a bar between the wheel studs to keep it from movin but on an 07 i think u shouldnt have a prob since its pretty new

Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm not doing anything yet...but I want to have the rotors turned at some point before I think about brakes way down the road. So when I go to get the socket, I just want to get the right size. You don't have to pull the hub to take off the rotor do you?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

I second 32mm. Also make sure you have a breaker bar.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

what are u doing to ur brakes? im not entirly sure but i think its 32mm. Honda punches all their axle nuts, u'll need to punch it out and then u'll be able to remove the nut. as for breaker bar, u may not need it being that its a new car, tho have one handy cuzu never know. i used a 2ft long breaker bar and about 210lbs guy to get my axle nut off but then again it was on there for year and years.
this cracks me up everytime i read it.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

this cracks me up everytime i read it.
lmao i tried to make it not sound like that..guess it didnt work haha[8D]

Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. All I have is about a 15 inch Kobalt breaker bar, so I'll get something bigger when I get the 32mm socket. I have a '97 Accord too, and the other nuts in the spindle were hard to get off with that bar. I can't imagine what my rusted 35mm would require. I quit the job before I got that far.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I haven't worked on a 06+ Civic but I'm having a hard time imagining why you'd need to remove the axle nut to get the rotor off??!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM

Well, maybe you don't. If you can't tell I'm a little new to this...that's awesome if the rotor comes off without the spindle nut! Would that also be true for a '97 Accord? And, is there any benefit to turning the rotors without replacing the brake pads?

Quick Reply: Axle Nut