Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

axle doesn't look right...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
HCF Member
Default axle doesn't look right...

I put some new axles in today, and something about the passenger side doesnt look right, it almost looks like it's too short? Can someone tell me what I may have done wrong?? This was my first time doing this. The driver side one came out fine, heres what the other side looked like....(sorry for the blurry pics, took them from my cell phone)

The nut is torqued to 134 ft-lbs in this pic....

Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: axle doesn't look right...

its normal if you where to take them both off and stand them up on a level surface the right axle is shorter then the left when i installed my Ex axles for my b16a2 it was the same way

Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 AM
mxs
HCF Member

It looks to me like the joint got pulled apart...

Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes the joint has been pulled apart, it is probably the wrong axle and too short. Hold the old axle next to it and see if the length is the same.

When a joint has been pulled apart like that I think the inner rollers can fall off so you may not be able to just push it back together.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Well, I don't know if the camera's flash is to blame, but I don't see the metal ring/clamp the holds axle boot to the axle. If that is not there, it might just be that the boot is loose to move where ever, which is bad. Otherwise, yeah, she popped out.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree with all that the axle joint pulled apart. The same happened to me during installation of an axle on my 97 Civic, even though the axle was the correct one. I believed that the axle was defective, so I simply returned it to AutoZone. With little hesitation, they gave me a replacement axle free of charge. It worked fine.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

If the joint has been pulled apart I'm assuming that it won't turn.....right? well if that's the case, then the joint isn't pulled apart because the whole axle turns with no problem.

The metal clamp that holds the boot to the axle is there, you just cant see it in the pic.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Based on the distorted axle boot, I would assume that the underlying joint will not function properly, despite it retaining some capacity to rotate. It would be most prudent to return the axle in the picture and obtain a new one.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Lordy, your verbosity is rather developed.
ORIGINAL: RonJ

Based on the distorted axle boot, I would assume that the underlying joint will not function properly, despite it retaining some capacity to rotate. It would be most prudent to return the axle in the picture and obtain a new one.
Translation:
Replace it.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Got, I'll head over to aap tonight, but I'm afraid they will just have more of the same...

Quick Reply: axle doesn't look right...