Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

automatic shifter wont move

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot
Default automatic shifter wont move

ok so we wired up my airhorns and compressor to my factory horn, everything worked fine. im on my way home and the horn stops working. thought nothing of it, maybe just a loose wire. Now i goto start the car and cant switch to drive. I have to put my key in the gear reset slot on the shifter, switch it to neutral, then put the key in the ignition and start, then i can switch to drive. why wont it let me get out of park? the button wont push in at all. someone said it might be a relay thing for my brakes, idk, but can anyone give me any insite on this? its getting really annoying having to take the key out to put it in drive lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i think my horn just blew a fuse, and thats whats causing this. from what i read online (below), this seems to be the reason. My question is, if i was to put an inline fuse for the horn, and it popped again, since it would pop the inline fuse, would the brake lights and shifter still work?

The problem with the car not shifting out of Park is caused by your blown fuse for the Horn. Here's the logic

the car will not shift out of Park unless you have your foot on the brake pedal. the only way the shift interlock system "knows" you have your foot on the brake pedal is that when you put your foot on the brake pedal the brake lights in the back of the car come on. so if the brake lights are ON then the shift interlock system lets you take the car out of Park.

the taillights share the same fuse as the horn. so when the fuse for the horn blows the brake lights don't work.

you have to systematically eliminate the components in the circuit to see what's causing the problem. I would do it this way
1) replace the fuse (better have about 5 fuses to do this). then step on the brake and shift the car out of Park. if it works then you can eliminate everything in the brake lights portion of the system because the fuse did not blow.

2) try the horn. again, I know you said it blew when you tested the horn so your problem should be with the horn side but do it just to confirm. if the fuse blows again then you know its the horn circuit that is the problem

3) replace the fuse, then unplug the horn connector. then try the horn again. if the fuse doesn't blow you have a shorted horn. my guess is this is your problem.

3) if the fuse blows then the problem is with the horn relay. you can substitute any like relay in the underhood fuse and relay box for the horn relay and test it. if the horn works and the fuse doesn't blow your problem is a shorted relay.

4) if you find the horn is shorted then you can just remove the connector and drive without the horn until you can get it fixed or, if you can't get to the horn connector (its usually not very easy) then pull the horn relay and at least you'll have brake lights and the shift interlock until you can get the horn replaced

I think you'll find its the horn itself.

Hope that helps

Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, horn/brake light fuse blown will do that. You also of course have no brake lights that way, so it's dangerous to bypass it with a key and drive.

Wire the horn compressor with a relay and its own feed from the battery so it doesn't overload the circuit. Generally, electrical mods that draw more current than the stock parts should be done that way as the stock wiring is only sufficient to support the stock systems.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

the horn came with a realy and all that stuff but the guy diddnt know how to install it using the relay, the only way we could get it to work was with the factory horn. i think im just going to remove it and sell it anyhow lol, not as loud as i wanted it anyhow. thanks for your help!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Can anyone tell me where the fuse is? i cant find it on the fuse diagrams.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you check the underhood fuse box too? On a 92-95 it's in there.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

I had blown it before it sucked trying to find out what did it

Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Originally Posted by mk378
Did you check the underhood fuse box too? On a 92-95 it's in there.
No, i diddnt check under there, i thought it was just a regular fuse under the driver side dash. i have a 97 btw

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
I had blown it before it sucked trying to find out what did it
i know what did it lol, running 3 trumpet horns and a compressor off of my stock horn lol. blew out within 5 minutes of install lol

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

you wired air horns to the tiny factory horn? of course the fuse blew, you need a heavy fused circuit right off of the battery, and the factory horn wires will only operate a relay now, which won't overload the circuit.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

?? so what do i need to do? we could not get the horn wired up to a switch, the only way we could get it working was thru the factory horn. i dont know much, so my buddy did it. I confirmed that my brake lights arent working, so where is the fuse located?

Quick Reply: automatic shifter wont move