Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic Seat Belt Problem... 1990 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Default Automatic Seat Belt Problem... 1990 Honda Civic

This problem only happens when its hot outside. It won't do it in the winter months with this car. When I get in the car and I close the driver side door to begin driving, once the door latches, the automatic seatbelt locks into place like a normal seatbelt would. However, if I go over a bump, or brake hard, or sometimes just driving, it will open (the seatbelt will) acting like the car door has swung open to let me out of the car.

It ONLY does this when it is hot outside, and when some sort of vibration happens (I'm assuming - braking, going over bumps, potholes etc...). If I drive and do that at night (when its colder or winter months), it won't do it. Just when its hot *I live in Phoenix, AZ - already hot now*. Basically the car will think I opened the door and the seatbelt opens to let me out of the car.

I don't know why it is doing this. Had people say car door might be bent just a little but it opens, closes & does everything fine and only does it when its hot. Also, when the seatbelt decided to open randomly, the seatbelt light on the dash lights up. When it opens, I just open the door while driving and slam it closed and once I close it then it stops... for the meantime. It does it randomly.

All the power windows work, door locks, everything electrical. I have this problem & my A/C is undercharged (fixing that this weekend). Just want to know about this seatbelt problem.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's the same door switch that controls the dome light. See if the dome light comes on when the seat belt decides to open by itself. If it does, you know the door switch has decided that the door is open.

It could be because the door isn't latching fully. After you give it a good slam, does it ever act up again during the trip?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
It's the same door switch that controls the dome light. See if the dome light comes on when the seat belt decides to open by itself. If it does, you know the door switch has decided that the door is open.

It could be because the door isn't latching fully. After you give it a good slam, does it ever act up again during the trip?
Most of the time it will not act up again if I slam it shut pretty hard (not hard to where it'll break something but enough ya know)

Anyway, I didn't realize that about the dome light... I will check it out. And finally, I saw something interesting. On the door switch, there is a little black rubber thing on the end of it. My passanger side had it (door doesn't act up), but my driver side was missing it (door that acts up with seatbelt problem). Its a black rubber piece that goes on the end. Hope you know what I mean. Does/can that cause a problem with what I'm having? Not having that rubber piece?

Since the car is old I'm probably going to go buy a new one at the junkyard tomorrow anyway. Also gunna check the connection and wires going to it and possibly clean/tighten them up. Thanks!