Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Autobody question for '06 Honda Civic Ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Default Autobody question for '06 Honda Civic Ex

I didn't notice any other forums that I could post this in, so thought this would be the best one !

Anyways, I own an '06 Honda Civic Ex 4 door (galaxy grey in color). The other night I was parked at a friends house, in front of his garage door. My friend had to leave to run an errand and it was dark out, so he goes to back out of his garage with his '93 GMC Sierra 4x4 truck and didn't notice my car (it was in his "blind" spot) and he hits my Civic . He didn't end up with any damage (of course), vs. my car getting some damage in the front bumper. I received a 2 inch x 2 inch "L" shaped hole on the drivers side of my bumper below and slightly right of the drivers headlight.

What I would like to know, is what would need to be done to fix my car:

1) Would the whole bumper have to be replaced or could they just repair the hole itself?
2) How hard is it to get a new bumper (would there be a waiting period due it being a new car)? Availibility of parts?
3) Would anyone have an idea as to the approximate cost of a front bumper (in CDN dollars)?
4) Does it make a difference whether I have it repaired at a genuine "Honda" dealership vs getting it done at "Joe's" autobody who repairs all makes and models of cars, but specializes in imports?

My friend agreed to pay for the cost of the repair, so I haven't reported it to my insurance company "yet", however, I did go down to the local police station and do a collision report. Autobody shops in my area will not repair cars with over $1,000 damage unless they have a collision sticker from the police department, so I thought I'd better cover my a--, should my friend decide to change his mind and not pay the bill. When the police officer came to look at my car, he said "brand new Civc, damage will probably be easily over a $1,000". I have a gut feeling that it might be closer to $2,000, but I'll wait and see what the autobody shops come back with for an estimate.

So....if anyone would have any feedback on the above, I would appreciate hearing it.

thanks,