Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ATF Change/Flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Default ATF Change/Flush

I did some reading to try to figure this out but no success.

Shop is quoting me $100 for a transmission "flush" but mostly I have read about "changing" the fluid which is a simple job. It mirrors an oil change but you just do not have a filter to replace.

The parts guy at the Honda dealership says when you "change" the fluid there is still about 3 qts. left in the tourque converter so I would be mixing new fluid with old fluid. I am sure this helps but it bothers me to be basically draining 50% of the ATF and mixing in new fluid. Also, I assume this dilutes the positive impact of putting in 3 qts. of new fluid.

The parts guy also says in order to do a full flush Honda simply keeps running in new fluid until the fluid is all nice and pretty.

This seems like such a waste of fluid....and time.

Is there a way to "flush" the ATF at home???

Thank you for any help sent this way!!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM

I have heard that the MTF drain/flush is much like an oil change. A flush for the AT is much more involved.

Have you ever replaced brake fluid? It is the same process. Continually cycle fluid out until it run clean.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

I have done a brake fluid flush but the difference is that you have a way to actually push the fluid out of the "system." You just keep pumping the brakes while adding new fluid to the MC until it runs clear. You repeat at each bleeder screw. At least this is how I have done it.

The difference with the Auto. Trans Flush, as described, is that you have to keep wasting $7 per quart AT fluid until it all runs bright red. This just seems like such a waste to keep cycling this expensive fluid in and out of the transmission. There should be a way to push 6 qts out and add 6 new quarts.

On my 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser there is a return hose where the AT fluid is cooled in the radiator that you can unhook and have the old fluid drain as you add new fluid through the filler hole.

How many times and how much fluid is required to do a thorough "flush?"

Again, thank you for all your help.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Just do three ATF drain and refill cycles with a little driving between each cycle. This should cost about $60. Only use Honda or Honda-recommended ATF.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks RonJ for your help.

I looked in the service manual and there is a procedure for flushing the transmission but it is way over my head and I do not have the tools.

So, I will take your advice and "change" the fluid a few times to maximize the amount of new fluid that is in the transmission.

It just seems like such a waste of fluid though.

Again, thank you for your help.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 PM

BTW, the "filler hole" is where the dipstick is.... correct??

Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

^correct.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

Your stressing out too much. Especially if you are doing it at normal intervals and not waiting until the fluid is all scorched and stuff. Just drain and refill. Then drive for like a week and repeat until the fluid looks all clean and then do it one more time. I have no problems at almost 160K and do it this way (actually less than what I described) and I beat the **** out of my honda auto tranny and it just keeps working the same as it always has.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM

Thank you all for the help!!

Yes, I stress a little when things just don't make good sense to me. With that being said.... I will get on with it and change the fluid a few times and keep rollin'.

Thank you!!