Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Arking Spark Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Arking Spark Damage

So if one was to pull a spark plug wire while the car was running and, say, accidentally allow it to spark on the valve cover, and the car then died, and now wont start because it hasnt got spark on any cylinder, also no fuses blew, theoretically, what might this person have blown up?

1997 Civic Cx Hatch

Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Arking Spark Damage

Coil. Theoretically and practically

Old 12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

Roger that, any good way to check the coil without having to replace it to verify?

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM

yup...have your buddy hold the wire with a plug in it to his fingertip then turn the car over.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

nasty joke man [:-]

Old 12-26-2006, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

remove it and check resistance. Should be below 1 ohm for primary and around 15-20 Kohm for secondary

Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Roger that too, My buddy diligently held the spark plug in his hand and alas was not shocked, so obviously THAT didnt work. AS for the resistance, it is way effing high on primary and normal on secondary, if I and reading it correctly. Coil is to be replaced. Thank You!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

what i do to check the spark is simply pull the plug... snap the wire onto the plug and just touch the plugs metal to something else metal and if the plug doesnt spark then ya got no spark........

tho ive never had a problem like that before.... maybe it hit some computer sensor and jacked it up.... MAYBE... just a posibility... hopefully not... other wise youll have to take the car into a shop and have em diagnostic it.

and id advice against the stealerships..... if the computuer doesnt tell them whats wrong they dont know what to do and just BS crap up...

Old 12-26-2006, 08:25 PM

your buddy really held the plug? wow...props to him...fearless bastard [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

Haha, yeah I've always tested spark that way(seeing if it arks) but this is the key I think: don't ark it on the motor itself, use the frame! It was the Ignition coil, props for helping my with that!

Oh, and my buddy never held the plug lol but I have touched a spark plug wire to my skin and it doesnt hurt that bad! Just feels like one of those dog collars that makes them stop barking by electrocuting them!

Thanks! - jeff

Quick Reply: Arking Spark Damage