Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Annoying little horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Annoying little horn

Anybody replaced the horn on their Civic? I hate that little roadrunner horn. I know the car is small, but it is embarassing to honk that thing. Just curious if anybody has tried a different horn. I was thinking airhorn.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Annoying little horn

I was thinking of the same thing. I'm glad my horn's broken.. lol but my middle finger works just fine

Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you can slap any horn on it.... just MIGHT have to do alittle custom wiring to tweek it....

now im not sure HOW my newer civic horns wired BUT i know on my old 86crx it was triggered with negative pulse... and i swaped them from a old s10 truck onto it but i had to use a relay to change the negative pulse to a ground pulse. simple to do with a relay..... but i would think or HOPE that our civics use a positive pulse....
if its a positive pulse its SUPER EASY to wire in what ever you want! and DONT use a air horn... thats even more pathetic IMO....LOL get a big TRUCK horn.... i pulled my truck horn off a old truck we had laying in the backyard.LOL cheapest place to find a truck horn is a junk yard dirt cheap and easy to test just cut off the harness wires if they have them....

Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM
HCF Member

By air horn, I meant the horns on semi's and big boats. They need an air supply (small compressor) though. Not sure if its legal, and probably not worth the effort for a couple of laughs. I posted because I wanted to see if anyone had actually swapped horns to see what works best. The S-10 sounds like a good option. Another option could be an Accord horn. My brother in law has an 05. That horn sounds much better. Probably no wiring issues either.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

O OK.... ya those BIG air horns are nice... just not those cheap air horns
ive always wanted to get some air horns on my vehicles BUT they just cost quite a bit of cash........ and that doesnt even include the air system

only downfall about those as well as the price is the SIZE of them

it would be fun for awhile then it would get weak.... BUT then every now and then it would be fun again.... like when you take your car for work or tires and you know those people are gonna blow the horn before they pull your car into the bay...... LMFAO as soon as they blast the horn. LMFAO instant fun again......

Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjycPit1DPo

Check that bad boy out. It's a video of my car. I actually just took the system off a few weeks ago because I think I'm gonna sell it and get a nice audio system and eventually turbo my car and it was a lot of weight. I had a 3 chime air horn, 2 viair 380c compressors with a 14gal tank running 200psi. Scares the crap out of people, lol. Its fun, but yeah theres disadvantages, like weight for 1, and I had not trunk space...

Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

14gallon tank.... WTF dam boy.... of course you didnt have anyroom.LOL i woulda used 2or3 gallon air tank.

ALSO... your link no workie.....
i might be interested in it... for the right pricce MINUS that air tank.LOL

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM

I'd love to replace the horn on my Civic as well. Just wish it wasn't so involved. The wiring I can deal with, but having to drop the front bumper? That turns a 15 minute job into a couple hours, right?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

hell na........ 96-00 bumpesr are super easy to remove!!!!!!
the 92-95 is ALMOST as easy as long as those philip screws on the top arent frozen like mine. i have 3 of the bolts stuck and now striped i just need to get some visgrips on them and then some new bolts to replace them with...

1 screw on each corner of the bumper/fender, then either plastic clips or screws off the top of the bumper with the hood open. and i think thiers a few bolts under the bottom of the bumper but you can still fold the bumper out to get to the horn without taking those out.... very easy!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I've can't even count how many times I've removed the bumper, its super easy. As far as my video link, it works, but if it won't work for you, just go to google and type in civic train horn and it will come up with the video.

Quick Reply: Annoying little horn