Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Am I being overcharged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Unhappy Am I being overcharged?

My car has been making a weird noise lately, so I took it into the dealers. They said I have bad front struts, the bushing on the struts are metal to metal, the lower control arms need replacing, and tie rods need to be replaced as well. They said its going to cost me $2100 to fix it all. Is that too much or is that about right? I'm a poor college kid and I can't afford that much. I might have to just sell the car and get another crappier one.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

Due don't go to a dealer go to a mechanic usually you can get a good price after negotiating a bit and for bushings I recommend polyurethane that what I got and don't regret it the are not that expensive on the long run.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Holy crap!!! Well what car is it? year? A new set of front control arms is 100-200 if you go OEM and tie rod 30-60 bucks. New struts, idk, 400-600 bucks? Labor would be 3-4 hours as far as a mechanic is concerned. At 80 dollars per hour 320-400 for labor.

SO, it should be 850-1260 MAX!

I'm sure you could get it done cheaper.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

The first thing you MUST learn about cars, is that dealerships will tear you a new A-hole with prices. NEVER get parts from a dealership unless its your LAST option! Go to any of your local auto stores. Your prices will be MUCH lower. And if you know a buddy who works on cars, put his butt to work. All the parts you need fixed are easy repairs. Kinda time consuming, but easy.

And, I must say, never get polyurethane bushings. They are good if your trying to make a track car, but not for a daily driver. They simply fall apart and make for a stiff ride. Use STOCK bushings. Works best and smoothest.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Thank you all, I will definitely call up all the local mechanics around here for that. Oh, and I completely forget to mention the type of car I have. It is a 2002 Honda Civic Ex Coupe. I was a bit freaked out, because of the cost. I knew people from Honda Civic Forums wouldn't let me down.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by PunisherInOKC
And, I must say, never get polyurethane bushings. They are good if your trying to make a track car, but not for a daily driver. They simply fall apart and make for a stiff ride. Use STOCK bushings. Works best and smoothest.
I must say not to start a flame war but polyurethane bushings are made to not fall apart like rubber bushings, i have seen it first hand to not have such a stiff ride you have to use a good amount of the grease it comes with the kit, remember this is my experience aka my personal opinion.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
HCF Member

You could easily buy new struts fully assembled for max $400 and do the install yourself. But the dealership is screwing you over.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
gwl
HCF Member

My gf has a 2002 Civic. The struts were bad along with the compliance bushings were torn up. For some reason, the 2002 Civics's struts have a tendency to leak oil. The parts are cheap, its the labor that will get you. I save a bunch by doing my own work. I still had to take it in for alignment.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats the stealership prices..... do it yourself and save alot of cash! check out your local junk yards and try to score some used good parts....
the bushings arent to bad. you can just remove them yourself and take them into a shop with new OEM bushings and have them press the old ones out and press the new bushings in for i dont know 30bucks or so ive heard. the struts are easy enough to find used ones c omplete off ebay.

time for you to buy a manual for your car and some tools youll still save alot of cash!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 AM
HCF Member

DON'T EVER GO TO THE DEALERSHIP!!!
Learn about your car and do it yourself.
Save you heaps in the long run.
Hondas are like lego

Quick Reply: Am I being overcharged?