Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Alternator problem?

ORIGINAL: mk378

I think if the front wheels are holding the car up (car on ground, or up on ramps), the front wheels are pushed up and the axle will be in the way. You need to lift the car so the left front wheel is hanging down free.
I owe you some kind of refreshing beverage, man!

As soon as I jacked it up a couple of inches and turned the alternator the right way, it practically fell out! Thanks for helping me see the obvious!

I didn't even jack it off of the ramp (I hadn't read the post warning about that) just enough to get the weight off of the axle.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

that's great news saiguanas although I would strongly recommend that you never do that again.

I've done quite a few oil changes with just the car jacked up with the OEM jack but that doesn't make it safe just b/c my experience has been "trouble free" so far. now I make sure i have at least one jack stand and jack it up at the front with a hydraulic jack.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mundy5

that's great news saiguanas although I would strongly recommend that you never do that again.

I've done quite a few oil changes with just the car jacked up with the OEM jack but that doesn't make it safe just b/c my experience has been "trouble free" so far. now I make sure i have at least one jack stand and jack it up at the front with a hydraulic jack.
Yeah, I won't. But I did have it still touching the ramp and jack stands on both sides plus the floor jack. Definately don't want to put all of the weight on one ramp.