Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
HCF Member
Default Alternator problem?

So I was driving home the other day and my battery light started to flash. It wouldn't stay on consistently, but when I was stopped at stoplights it would flash more frequently and sometimes stay on for a good 5 to 10 seconds. I think it is a problem with the alternator because my manual says the battery light only deals with the alternator and the power it is giving out. If anyone suspects anything else or has good instructions on how to change an alternator, please let me know. I don't want to have to bring my car to the dreaded shop.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Alternator problem?

well, you you don't know what's wrong with your car, and you don't know how to diagnose the problem, then you might want to consider taking it into the "dreaded shop". Don't just go tinkering around with your electrical system. One of the system you don't want to mess up.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When the light comes on it's almost always because of the alternator itself. Changing one is not extremely complicated but it should not be the first job you try to do with no mechanic experience, it is somewhat hard to get it in and out.

There are a couple of other potential causes. If it happens only when idling, it can also be because your engine is idling too slow, so as it almost stalls. Then the alternator is turning so slow that the light comes on. Also check that the alternator belt is tight.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

if you have a local auto parts store, they will check out your alternator for free using a simple test. if they find an issue with your alternator, then they will ask you to bring it in and they will bench test it which will give them more information. i had to do that on my alternator and it turned out to be a bad alternator.

it's a pain to get it out, but it is possible. requires a number of steps and remove some stubborn bolts. what year is your civic anyway?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

It's a 1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr

Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't take it out until the autoparts store says that your alternator is suspect.

If you want to see a written step by step (no pics sorry) here it is:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=895584

Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

yeah, I agree: do NOT attempt to pull your alternator unless you're sure. I did mine recently and spent almost 3 hours on it with access to air tools and tourches (yes I have experience working on cars) Every single bolt or fastener I put a wrench on was siezed or rusted SOLID...not fun.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for everything guys and i will take your advice and bring it to the shop (partialy beccause some new problems poped up )

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

"somewhat difficult" it is!

I'm still trying to get mine out. I'll be removing the axle tomorrow unless I find a better way on the net tonight. Got the alternator off with almost no problems. Even the bolts weren't too bad. The Haynes manual says to (I forget the exact words) maneuver it around the engine block....yeah....okay!

A great gadget that I got was a battery charger at home depot that can test the alternator as well as jump start the car. It also reconditions batteries. Gave my alternator the thumbs down as expected.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

look at my earlier post and the link. i have a step by step w/o pics.

the biggest problem is the lower mounting bracket. you need to get a deep socket and remove the driver's front wheel. this will give you the room to undo the bolt.

Quick Reply: Alternator problem?