Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alot of liquid in passenger side of car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM
kma
HCF Member
Default Alot of liquid in passenger side of car.

I have a 96 honda civic lx 1.5l vtec (1.6 was swapped 2 yrs ago). Anyway, I got my a/c hose repaired yesterday cuz well summer's here and the heat's not my friend. At first I thought the floor was soaked cuz of the rain since the idiots that installed my windshield didn't seal it properly but then it hit me.....it didn't rain last night and 2 when it DOES rain the leaks are never that serious, just drops of water. So then it hit me.....it has something to do with the a/c but I have no clue what but also there seems to be a red coloring in it that part I'm not sure of because I have newspapers laid under my floormats so I duno if it's the actual color of the liquid or if the color ran from the paper by mixture or something. The floor was never wet til AFTER I got the a/c fixed but I don't see anything leaking anywhere. Can someone please help me?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Alot of liquid in passenger side of car.

you need to first verify what liquid you are talking about. place white copy paper instead of newpapers. verify that it is water. if it is, then most likely the hose that allows the water removed during the a/c process is either plugged or not properly connected.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 AM
kma
HCF Member

verified water. hose missing. accidentally broke tip hose connects clumsy me guess i have to replace something now? + buy hose

Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

JB weld maybe? To fix it right you would have to replace the bottom half of the evaporator box (the part that the tube attaches to). That is not a huge job but it will require recovering the refrigerant so the lines can be disconnected, then after putting the box back in, evacuate and recharge the system.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
HCF Member

first of all, congrats, kma, on diagnosing the problem, it's too bad that the connection broke.

do shops recover the refrigerant for a reasonable fee, mk378?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

Is the nozzle coming out of part #6 broken? Try to glue something together with JB-Weld. Maybe look for hose barbs at a hardware store?

I'd try to avoid dismantling that evaporator box if possible.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
kma
HCF Member

yes, tip of #6 is broken and #15+16 r missing completely since i bought the car but never knew til a/c was fixed (wasn't when I bought it) then floor got wet. I thought about glue back except I can't see anything without removing the box but that's proved to be a huge pain. I've never heard of jb weld, I looked it up just now but I see there's different types. which one do I need? and how do I apply it?