Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
HCF Member
Default alarm system

I just got my first car and its a 93 civic DX. I wanted to put an alarm system in the car but i dont know whats good, i want something thats good and not too expensive, what are good brands? or good alarms? links would be nice. Also is it hard to install the alarm by yourself?
thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 AM
HCF Member

clifford is the best one, many feature of security system on it.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

there is no BEST ALARM..... IMO its all in HOW THE ALARM IS INSTALLED!!!!!!!
the most EXPENSIVE (not the best) alarm system can be installed really crappy and be stolen so easily, and a cheap @ss(not the worst) alarm system can be installed good and it save the car!

best way to protect your car if its parked outside is a fuel cut off switch.... get creative and always use it when you think your in a bad area.... i always unplug mine at shoping malls, bad neighbor hoods. but i leave it pluged in when im at home or work. but MOST IMPORTANT SECURITY YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR CAR IS "FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!"

otherwise your risking a total loss and your car being GONE TOTALLY!

you could do it yourself better than most shops can do it.
MOST SHOPS will do a quick and easy instal with the alarms brain and wires just hangen under the dash where a thief can easily just look under the dash and rip the wires/alarm brain right out to kill the alarm within seconds....
now if you find a decent side shop that will do custom instals and pay 2-3+times more money for the instal they can wire up the alarm system in a hard to reach location, cover all the wires to make it all look like OEM stuff, like wire in the brain on the passenger side of the dash or behind kick panels, under the front seats or under the rear seats or even behind the rear side panels.
basicaly if a thief KNOWS the alarms brain is always gonna be under the dash in reach and they can just pull the wires off and it be disabled they are gonna do so and get your car or stuff in the car...

or save some $$ and do it yourself and remember if you spend the extra time and hassle to hide the wires and brain in remove areas that are hidden or harder to reach then that makes it just as hard for the thief to disable the system. and with a thief EVERY SECOND COUNTS..... every second is increasing the chance of geting caught and arrested or shot out... if your lucky the youll only have to clean up after there damage trying to get in the car or stealing your car BUT youll still have the car and everything will be repairable. id rather repair the car than have a total loss.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

you don't sound like you're very educated in the alarm department, so i'd highly recommend getting a system installed by a professional with their warranty.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

for a standard alarm they are actualy very easy! easy for a DX no power door locks to figure out.
theres the wires youll be looking for. not all are needed dont freak out!
http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...keID=3&link=DW

power, ground, ignition wire.
door trigger tied into door pin switch, starter kill a simple 12volt relay that gets power and hooked up to alarms orange ground output and cut the starter wire and each end of the starter wire onto the relay. but if the car is a manual tranny then i dont even realy worry about the starter kill.... lets face it a push start is just as effective as the starter! so its not needed.

then a simple ground hood pin switch, run the wire thru the firewall to the pin switch. easy to find a empty hole already on the front radiator support.
and then run 1 more wire thru the firewall for the siren wire, the siren has 2 wires on it a red and a black. simply yank the black wire off and ground it anywhere near the siren. and mount the siren so the sirens opening fires at least slightly downwards if not fully, this keep sthe water from collecting in the siren, and run the red wire thru the firewall and hook it up to the brown wire on the alarm system.

then if you want the trunk trigger wire tied into, the wire runs along the drivers side rocker panel. if you get wiring diagram with the alarm system its very easy!
also if you want your parking lights to work with the alarm simply pull the colum cover off and theres your headlight wires, just hook it up to the parking lights. they are not needed at all so you dont have to wire them up. youll already hear the chirp from the alarm system when arming and disarming, so ya dont need to see the lights. just alittle extra if the alarms going off people can see the lights flashing for alittle extra visability.

what most people freak out about a alarm instal is ALL THE WIRES ON THE UNIT... typicaly you only use 1/2 of them! the others are not needed and you just tape them off.
its actualy quite easy!

now a remote starter system or on a newer car that has a factory alarm system.... now those can be a PITA to bypass for a remote starter, or even keyless entry system.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

i'm not talking about a crap pointless install that all it has is a light flash relay and horn relay, lol. i'm talking about everything with a SOLID install, not half *** like most people do.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya but most shops like bestbuy, Circuite city also do crapy instals!