Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Default Airbag removal

Hi, I have a problem with my clock spring and I don't know how to remove the airbag. Is there any kind of resetting for the srs after installing back the steering wheel and the airbag? Any help please.

Last edited by hdzx; 11-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 AM

...and you forgot to finish the post? That's okay. I think you want instructions on removing the airbag.

First, unhook the negative terminal of the battery. Then wait 5 minutes. Then unscrew the plastic cover off the steering column (3 screws from underneath if it's a 6th gen, similar to that if it's not a 6th gen). It'll come right off. There are two torx screws, one on each side, that MUST be removed with a torx bit, NOT a hex bit. You need to save them so you can put the thing back on. Also, there is a yellow plastic clip on the underside of the steering column that you need to unhook. You can't miss it. That's it. Once you have the yellow plug unhooked and the two torx bits out, just pull the airbag off. It and the clock spring will come right out.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks for a quick reply. I was not able to finish my post because every time I finished my typing, it pops up a note that I need to sign in again. So I posted it unfinish and trying to edit but it did the same thing. Finally, I finished my posting.
Anyway, the instruction you gave was a big help. Now I can start replacing the clock spring. Just one more question, Is there only one clock spring part in the inside of the steering wheel. My srs, horn and cruise control had a problem all at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong but as I read most of the thread here, they said it is a clock spring that needs to be replaced. Any idea? Thanks again.

Last edited by hdzx; 11-26-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah, all of it goes through that one clock spring, AKA cable reel. No SRS reset as long as you don't start the car with the airbag off. But did I read right when you said that there was already a problem and the light is already on?

When you reinstall the cable reel, you need to spin it all to one direction and then back like 2 and a half turns to make sure the thing doesn't break when you turn the steering wheel. I've swapped a few and broken one before. Expensive mistake.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Yes, first thing I noticed was the srs light's on. I went on line to this forum and found some thread regarding problem on srs and resetting them. So i did without knowing that my horn and cruise control was not working too because I seldom use it. But as I turn the wheel and hit the horn, then it will work intermitently. And resetting the srs still won't work.
You're right, this part is quite expensive that's why I need to know some detail regarding the uninstalling and reinstalling of every parts specially airbag. I saw the 2 torx screws you said need to remove but not the 3 underneath. I will check again tomorrow. I will give you update. By the way,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY,and to all the members.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM

Intermittent connection sounds like a textbook clock spring failure. If you already know how to reset the SRS system, GREAT. You'll need to do that once it's all fixed. Have you gone and bought a new cable reel yet? The list price is $103.96 USD and even Majestic Honda's price is $73.81 USD. I may still have my old one from my 2000 LX from when I switched to an S2000 steering wheel if you need one. Or you can look at your local salvage yard and try there if you want the part faster.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Point the wheels of the car straight ahead before removing the steering wheel. Set the new clock spring to its center position, I think it has a little gear and pointer to show that it is there. Then install clock spring, being sure not to rotate it away from the center position.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if yours is bad you can always get one from a junk yard.
at my local cheap junk yards its only like 15bucks for the clock spring. or you can search ebay for one.
i had to replace it only my old 94 cviic from previous owner cutting the cables for some ugly aftermarket steering wheel.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM

Mine is a 2002 civic ex. Is the 2000 civic clock spring or later model compatible? I will try to look in the junk yard today.
Should I reinstall the steering wheel after setting the clock spring in center position?

Last edited by hdzx; 11-30-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well you want the clock spring to be centered as well as the steering wheel to be centered.... otherwise the clock spring wont have enough travel in the guts and will break when you turn to hard, as well as your steering wheel being turned when your going straight easiest way to set the wheel back perfect is put the wheel straight before removing it and put a piece of tape from the dash to the steering wheel straight and cut the tape, so when you put it back on you simply make sure your two pieces of tape are lined up still.

Quick Reply: Airbag removal