Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

air condition compressor HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Default air condition compressor HELP PLZ

I have a 1994 Honda Civic DX that when i plug the condensor fan relay in the air compressor kicks on and begins to blow cold air but the compressor will NEVER CYCLE OFF. We drove it down the road the belt started squealing i was afraid the compressor was locking down so i pulled over and pulled the condensor relay back out. later on we plugged the relay back in to make sure the compressor was still working and it was, but still wouldnt cycle off, so i just need some help figuring out why my condensor is not cycling off.

When i had the guages on it, it had 35 on the low side and 300 on the high side. Appreciate some help, thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's not supposed to cycle off until the evaporator gets too cold (below 40 F)-- which may never happen in very hot weather. When you run without the condenser fan it cycles on and off on the high pressure cutout, but that is not normal operation.

300 on the high side suggests overcharged unless the outdoor temperature is into triple digits.

If you're saying that the compressor stays on as soon as you plug the relay in, whether you press the A/C button or not, that's either a short in the wiring or more likely a bad relay. If the clutch stays pulled in even after you turn the key off, definitely a bad relay.

Last edited by mk378; 07-30-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Yes, when i plug the relay in, and start the car the clutch compressor immediatley engages, didnt think to check the clutch once the switch was off. I thought 300 was a little high. would you happen to have a set of gauges you could throw on your car or possibly know the correct psi for the low and high side. Is it normal for the high side hose to get very hot, like well above 170 degrees?

Back to the relays, is there more than just the one that i am plugging into the condensor fan that controls the a/c, and i was calling around today and Advance Auto sales a bianary switch and AutoZone sales a cycle switch, then there is the pressure switch, could it be possibly that one of these switches are bad after i check the relays. Thanks mk378 for giving me some direction and anybody else that might have any input.