Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

air con

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 AM
HCF Member
Default air con

my car aircon is not working this time when i tried it it only blowing air not relly cold air,im just wondering iy im gonna put some freon like the one in autozone the DIY (freeze) i think, but im not sure where im gonna put the hose to refill it theres a two inlet there ,can somebodytell me where of the two im gonna put the freon thing,do u think guy it wont damage my car aircondition sytem

Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: air con

they should only fit one way.... i believe the 2 line fittings are differnt

Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure it is really a potential low charge. Does the compressor engage and the fan come on when you press the A/C button? If not there is a bigger problem. Again if the compressor does not engage, seek additional help. Do not try to simply add refrigerant.

I strongly recommend using a manifold with both low and high gauges and measure the pressures before deciding to charge. Adding refrigerant blindly with a simple hose or a hose with one gauge on it (you're still blind to the high side pressure, which is often a more important indication of what's going on) can cause complications later.

Use only plain R-134a with no additives. The cheapest can you can find is OK, actually better in the long run. Do not use high mileage, conditioner, sealer, etc. Those products are more harm than good. If you have a significant leak, fix it properly. Sealer in particular is very bad news. It almost never works. You will have to replace the entire system to get rid of it and make a proper repair.

It will take significantly less than one can to top up a Civic that has a very slow leak and was recently cooling OK. The entire capacity starting from completely empty is less than 2 cans. The last couple of ounces do all the cooling. It is like having to fill a bucket until it overflows. Add refrigerant very slowly and stop as soon as you get cooling.

Obtain a replacement plastic cap for that one port. You need to have plastic caps on both ports when not working with them, otherwise the refrigerant will leak out. Also dust will get in and mess up your system next time a hose is connected there. Blow all the dust out with an air hose before connecting anything.

If simply adding a little doesn't restore cooling, go to a shop and have them remove all the refrigerant and recharge the exact rated amount shown on the sticker under the hood.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

when you add, you need to add to the low side. but take mk378's warning to heart. just adding freon might not solve the problem. it might make it worse if the problem is elsewhere. you need to get some gauges first.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

i just check the fan of the aircon and its working fine when i turn on the aircon,what im not sure is te compressor bec. i dont know where exactly te location of that thing, is it near the pulley wherebelts are attached.how will i know thats the compressor is running

Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
HCF Member

there will be a something that looks like this

on the front to the right of the manifold.

the belt turns on the outer area of that big wheel on the end, those 3 smaller bolts on the little circle in the center are in the Clutch, the belt spins the big wheel around and when you kick in your AC the clutch will engage the little circle and that is what "cools" the refrigerant. you need to get a flashlight and look to see if the center part of that wheel is turning. You may luck out and just have a blown fuse. Also keep in mind that the clutch will usually not engage unless there is a certain amount of pressure but usually there is enough.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM

im having similar issue on my crv the gauges read even the blower motor works but compressor only comes on when i bypass relay im not getting control power when button on head unit is on the light comes ou but compressor doesnt ingageive checked all sensors i can find the temp sensor on ac box the low pressure switch on the accumulator other issue is the other fan doesnt come on im at a loss any one got any advice i need help

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's all negative logic, when the control wire is pulled to ground the system will run, when it is allowed to rise toward battery voltage the system will stop. The circuit starts at the interior fan switch (must be on a speed other than off), then to the A/C button, then the evaporator temperature switch, then the pressure switch. If all those are closed, the wire goes to the ECU which senses that it has been grounded and increases the idle speed then grounds an output wire which closes the relay and pulls in the compressor.

The light on the button is an entirely separate circuit, having it come on doesn't prove anything.

When you push the button, do the condenser fans start? On a 91, both fans should run and stop at the same time, ever having only one running means there is a problem. And does the idle speed increase? When you jumped the compressor, do you remember it if got cold? Jumping the compressor really isn't recommended since you're bypassing the pressure switch and that can lead to a dangerous overpressure.