Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

acceration problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Default acceration problems

aight so i posted about this b4

my civic is having serious acceleration problems
its so bad wen im stopped and try driving again, its so sluggish

yalll gave me sum ideas, like gettin intake manifold cleaner
and it helped a lil but only sumtimes

its still pretty bad, any other ideas?

Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: acceration problems

I don't know what you have done so far to the car, but here is what I have had great luck with- SEAFOAM, the only place I have found it is at NAPA auto parts stores or online. I don't want to retype it, but hopefully this will help:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/fb.asp?m=68206

edit:

Oh and after you do this you will most likely get a CEL, just unplug the battery to clear the code or remove the ECU fuse. Keep in mind this is not a good thing to do all the time, just when it really needs it. It is not your average throttlebody/injector cleaner. It is always a good idea to change your spark plugs after something like this since most of the carbon deposits, injector slug, and other crap will eventually end up in your combustion chamber and on your plugs. Also make sure you fuel filter is not clogged too, it would be a good idea to change that as well. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

Fuel or fire, Bro.

Check your plugs, Check the plug wires for signs of arcing (shorting). Clean your dizzy cap or just replace cap and rotor.

Replace fuel filter, check fuel pressure. It might be a failing pump. Run a couple of tanks of injector cleaner or go get it professionally flushed.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 AM

tahnks guys

yea i did the injector cleaner like 3 times i think

tried an intake manifold cleaner - didnt use seafoam but got a differnt kind from napa
it didnt completely help

gonna try it again, it doesnt work i mite try just rippin the intake manifold apart and cleanin it by hand

taht or ill get sum seafoam stuff

Old 08-19-2005, 03:10 AM
HCF Member

Holy geez.

Hakim's Razor-'With all things being equal , the simplest explanation/answer is normally the right one'

In other words, before you start with an IM, start with the simple stuff. An IM is just a big hollow piece of aluminum anyway, you aren't gonna find anything in there unless you sucked up a pigeon or something, but I have a pretty good feeling it's not your IM.

Maybe you have a bad injector.

Tell us again exactly what it's doing.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

Once again, don't think of seafoam as an injector cleaner. the part you will notice a big difference in are these two:

For the TB use seafoam in a spray bottle(see link). Take off the intake tube from the TB and place a rag on the bottom protion of the butterfly. this rag is used to both hold it open and get all the carbon deposit you will be taking off with the spray. Spray the seafoam in the TB and wipe it clean. Try to get as much of that black stuff off(especially around the butterfly area) as possible without letting too much of it go into the intake.(all done with car off)
http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreep.htm
and

Then, Use some seafoam in a bottle(not the spary kind-see link) and disconnect the PCV valve hose. The instructions are on the seafoam bottle itself. This should be done with the car on and be advised it will throw smoke while it is cleaning.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

directions directly from their site on the second cleaning I suggested(important stuff in bold):

With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

Personally, I wouldn't do the oil crank cleaning, because I don't like to thin out the oil and that is pretty much what it does. I did do it when I noticed my engine had slug build up from the POS casterol syntax I was using, but that is a different issue.

Like street sniper said the intake manifold is just a passage way to the combustion chamber and not to many places carbon can build up. The most common cause of hesitation, bad or rough idle is the throttlebody. here is a good write up on a TB cleaning like I had suggested. I would try this first before you go taking the TB off and the IM off. Keep in mind this is a TB from a different vehicle, but all work the same:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

I would do everything in that site:
Change the PCV. Even if it appears to be running right there is wear on the valve opening and will alter your idle in time. It is only a few bucks anyway(cheap insurance)
Clean the MAF with said cleaner and per those instructions,(be careful with this as it is a sensitive device. don't touch the filiment with your hands just spray and drip dry)
Clean the TB per those instructions and with above mentioned product,
Change fuel filter and air filter.

I would add to check your plugs, cap & rotor, wires, and replace as needed. Pretty much a complete tuneup. That is normally what will cause a bad idle or hesitation. As previously mentioned It could be a bad injector. Without a wideband O2 sensor places on each exhaust port the only way to tell is by removing them and getting them flow tested. After the above mentioned tune up, I would check the injectors and not remove the IM. just my 2 cents.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Where is the fuel filter located on a 2000 civic si?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 PM
HCF Member

You know man, this might be way WAY off, but I'm going to throw out check the timing on your Civ and see if it's all well. I had my Camry smogged one time and the pick up went crashing down. I mean, sluggish doesn't define how garbage this things acceleration was from a stand still. I took it to my mechanic and he readjusted the fly wheel 4 degrees I believe and I was back on track. Just a thought. Best of luck with it.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 AM

^Beat me to it. I was going to say timing.