Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC Compressor Clutch Coil for$950????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Default AC Compressor Clutch Coil for$950????

All,

I have a 1996 Civic with 160,000 miles on it. I'm the first owner. My AC is not working and this is what has happen:

1. Re-filled the refrigerant. Lasted for 3 weeks.
2. Added ink to the refrigerant looking for a leak. No leak.
3. Started to blow condenser fan fuse.
4. Replaced fan.
5. Still no cold ac.
6. Mechanic recommends changing the compressor for $800

Took it to the dealership for second opinion:

1. They claim that there is a leak and that the AC Compressor Clutch Coil is bad.
2 $950 will take to fix it.

My questions:

Does $800-$950 sound about right?
Would you spend that money on a car that has 160,000 miles?

My question to you is if I should spend

Old 08-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Default RE: AC Compressor Clutch Coil for$950????

compressor here on ebayCompressor .. and it shows you in haynes manual how to service.. i would probably just do it myself..

Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Anyone else out there has change the compresor? I hate to get in something over my head.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

that dealer amount seems right.
i would not spend that much though.
just buy a rebuilt one from a parts store.
dont see a big deal replacing that - no more than replacing an alternator (assuming you are not going to fill it). the one that is on there is out of freon, right ??

Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 AM
HCF Member

did they tell you why they think that the cluch coil is bad ??? just the coil or the clutch and the coil ?? if just a leaky compressor there is no need to replace clutch and or coil

unless coil is shorting and blowing fuses, they have no way to know if coil is bad till they take it apart and the windings are exposed

I feel that they want to replace everything while there,,,,,,,,

If compressor engages now,, and there is a leak,, you can reuse clutch and coil,,, just replace the leaky compressor and the rec drier

Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM

Thanks guys.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
HCF Member

If the compressor was leaking, then wouldn't the dye show a leak by the compressor? It think the first thing that you are going to want to do is check to see if the compressor clutch is engaging. If the clutch is not engaging, then check if the clutch is recieving power. If the clutch isn't recieving power than your problem prolly isn't the clutch itsel or even the compressor. If the clutch is getting power but isn't engaging then the problem is likely that the clutch coil is broken/burned out.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness
If the compressor was leaking, then wouldn't the dye show a leak by the compressor?...If the clutch is getting power but isn't engaging then the problem is likely that the clutch coil is broken/burned out.
According to the Honda Service Manager, the leak is in the hose that is in front, by the fan. I did see some oil/grease on the hose/insulation, but did not see any color ink. He also stated that the check the continuity (sp) and power was getting to the clutch that is why he said that the clutch coil is broken.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Here is the exact quote from the repair order:

"2EL001 TEST AC SYSTEM FOUND LEAK IN DISCHARGE HOSE, CHECKED ELECTRICAL COMPRESSOR WOULDNT TURN ON FOUND BAD CLUCH, COIL ASSEMBLY"

Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

It sounds like your clutch coil is broken, not the compressor. The hose towards the fan on the front is prolly one of the hoses bringing refrigerant to (or taking refrigerant away) from the condensor. I suspect that you need a compressor clutch and a new hose. The reason why you didn't see any dye is since the compressor isn't running, the dye isn't bieng pumped around the A/C system so it might not have gotten to the hose. Also, some dyes require a black light to see them.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Clutch Coil for$950????