Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Default AC Clutch Problems

I recently purchased a 1992 Civic for my daughter. The only thing I can find that I need to deal with right now is an AC problem. The AC is intermittent with its cooling, it seems that the clutch sometimes will not engage when it is first activated. If I tap the face of the clutch while it is running the clutch will snap in and the compressor is now cooling fine. Sometimes while driving with the AC on it will begin to blow warm or (unconditioned air), I can pull over and tap it and it starts working again.

I suspect the field coil is weak. Has anyone else had this expeience? Can I replace the coil without removing the compressor?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This is a common problem. Actually the coil is fine, but the clutch plate is too far away, so the force is not enough to pull it in every time.

The gap is set with shim washers on the compressor shaft under the plate. Remove some of them and it will be good to go. You will probably need to unbolt the compressor from the engine and move it down under the car to gain access to the clutch. Do not disconnect the refrigerant lines. Unscrew the center nut on the shaft and slide the plate off. Remove some shim washers and reassemble. The plate can be very close to the pulley as long as it doesn't rattle or drag when disengaged.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Default thanks

Thanks for the advice, I will give that a try this weekend. Sounds a lot less expensive than I was first thinking.