Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC Clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Default AC Clutch not engaging

So a little rundown on the issue I am having.
I drive a 98 Honda Civic EX. I completely replaced the compressor in the car, and had her recharged. So the issue is, the clutch is not engaging when I hit the AC button on the dash. So I went to the fuses. Checked all the in dash fuses and engine bay fuses, and everything checks out. The cooling fan by the compressor turns on, but the clutch does not. So I decided to run a lead from the battery to the compressor power, and the clutch engages perfectly. I checked the wire connector to the compressor and it looks like it is getting full contact. I have no idea where to check and see what is wrong.

Is there a relay or switch somewhere in the dash for the AC button? It is getting power and shows green.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The button and controls inside the car are OK since the fan turns on. You should check if the pressure switch is a closed circuit, if it is not there is likely no refrigerant in the lines due to a big leak. Swap the compressor relay in the underhood fuse box with the fan or defroster one. The condenser fan and the compressor run on the same fuse so that rules out blown fuses.

It is not recommended to jump the compressor with the engine running because that can create an overpressure that can cause damage and even potential injury. You are bypassing the pressure cutoff switch, and without gauges attached there is no way to tell what the pressures really are.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

+1 for pressure switch which is located on receiver/dryer. Make sure it is plugged in.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. Mechanic says good levels of refrigerant and should be working, since he filled it up. Did not ask him to look at the electrical system.

Took a look at the pressure switch on the dryer and it is all plugged in firmly.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Make sure there is continuity between two terminals on pressure switch. The switch should have continuity if system pressure at that location is 28 - 455 psi.

Next thing to check would be to see if clutch relay is functioning or not.