Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Honda Civic EX Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Exclamation 99 Honda Civic EX Starting Issue

I have a 99 Honda Civic with 95k miles. It has an after market MSD Ignition System (6A) and coil blaster with aftermarket cap and rotor. Today I went to run some errands and the car started normally. When I attempted to leave the store, the car would not start. I could hear the fuel pump sound, the car would crank over but it would not start. It also sounded like it would skip a beat (Kind of like the battery was low). The car started after trying 3 times. Then on the drive home the car would begin to hesitate when I accelerated.

I got home and removed the spark plugs. I have bosch platinum +4 and had some black deposits on the insulator. I reinstalled the plugs and charged up the battery. I let the car sit for 2 hours and then attempted to start. The car started right away so I took it for a drive.

The car ran fine and then I parked it in the garage and shut it off. i waited 5 minutes and then started the car. This time, the stater was rolling the engine over however it would skip (missing gear on starter) but started up. I shut it off and tried again. This time it did not skip and started normal. The third time it skipped but started.

I had a 1984 pontaic fiero with a starter that the gear was worn out enough that I had to crank the starter twice in order to be able to get it to start.

Has anyone had this problem on other Honda Civics that required replacement of starter? Does anyone think the problem is something else? Appreicate any help.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm going with "problem is something else" since once started, it didn't drive properly either, and that has nothing to do with the starter. The "skipping" effect while trying to start could be one cylinder firing once in a while.

The stock ignition is actually quite good. People have had trouble with the 4-sided spark plugs. Use conventional NGKs or maybe basic platinums with one side electrode.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

also consider testing the alternator.