Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Honda Civic EX Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Default 99 Honda Civic EX Question...

What effects will having a faulty condenser fan on a car have while using A/C ? I have a 99 Honda Civic EX and I just replaced the compressor and recharged it. The AC worked great this morning and OK this evening. But this afternoon in 90 degree weather, it did not cool off a BIT! I checked the refrigerant, and I do not have a leak. I did notice this evening that my condenser fan is not functioning. Will this be the reason my A/C is not working in the heat? Will it damage any of my components if I drive it this way for a week using the A/C ? Thank for your help in advance!!

Also, my Crankshaft Position Sensor is out. I am replacing this soon- would this contribute to my A/C problem? Would it make my RPMs be about 200-500 max on idle speed? Sometimes the car dies at idle. The check engine light is on, saying error code P0335- which is a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Please help me with my problems. lol

Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The A/C won't work without the condenser fan running (see 96-00 Civic manual at link in my signature).

You'll need to replace the distributor housing assembly if the crank position sensor is bad.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Default Why

Why would I need to replace that if my ckp is out?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you know how to replace the CKP built into the distributor housing? Most people don't, so they must replace the distributor housing.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM

In my model, isn't it just behind the crank cover with the magnet mounted by the crankshaft?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jonnyj
In my model, isn't it just behind the crank cover with the magnet mounted by the crankshaft?
That's the CKF sensor = crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor

Your code is for the CKP sensor inside the distributor housing.

You can get a discounted price on an OEM distributor here.

Last edited by RonJ; 06-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM

check the condenser fan fuse in the under-hood fuse box. Also possible is a bad compressor relay, or a short in either the fan or compressor wiring.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM

the fan has physical damage and needs to be replaced. i was in a front end collision and the housing and fan are broken, i replaced the condenser, compressor. the a/c works fine on the highway, but not at all in the heat or traffic. i purchased a CKP at autozone and the CKP goes like i said in the diagram. ?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jonnyj
i purchased a CKP at autozone and the CKP goes like i said in the diagram. ?
Did you mistakenly purchase a CKF sensor? AGAIN, you have code P0335 for the CKP, which is built into the distributor housing.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

for your a/c problem check out this link... this is what I found on mine, maybe it will help you...

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=74986

Quick Reply: 99 Honda Civic EX Question...