Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'99 Civic not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Default '99 Civic not starting

Update! All better! It was indeed the coil. Thank you everyone!

Hey guys, newb here. I was perusing some of the general help and reference threads regarding no start conditions other users had. I think my case may be slightly different, so I thought maybe I'd give it a shot with a new thread.

Just last week I was driving home from Tampa, and I noticed that my car began irregularly sputtering. When I got home, I had thought perhaps my air filter was clogged so I cleaned it, but it seemed fine.

Can ran ok for a few days, then I noticed it was irregularly sputtering again. Next day, I was no more than 5 minutes away from home and the car suddenly sputtered, hard, and then stopped accelerating. I coasted the car off the road. Towed it back to my house.

When I try to start the car, the starter turns the engine, but the car won't start. I can hear the fuel pump whirring for a couple seconds when I switch the ignition to ON. As for what I know...

1) Spark plugs/wires are ~2 years old
2) Fuel filter was replaced two months ago
3) Air filter is clean
4) Fuel pump whirs when ignition goes to ON
5) Car has 110k miles on it
6) Battery is ~1 year old
7) Doesn't start!

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Last edited by siroz99; 01-03-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Do you have spark? Maybe water in the gas. If you spray some choke cleaner in the throttle body while it is cranking. If it firers you got no fuel to the engine.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Chubby Chaser

has the timing belt been changed? have you inspected the timing belt and checked to see if the car is still in time.?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Definitely check for spark next. Strictly guessing here, but it sounds sort of like the coil getting weak and going out. Or like 94 suggested, timing belt slipping and stripping. If you don't have sparks, take the oil cap off and see if the rocker arms move when you crank.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM

@Tommyboy: How do I check that I'm getting a spark? As far as gas in the water, maybe, but it was originally sputtering on a different tank of gas. I have filled up since the onset of the issue originally. If I can get a ride today after work, I'll pick up some choke cleaner from Autozone...I think it's $3, no harm in having a can of that lying around.

@94civichatchback: No. I will do that first, thank you.

@mk378: Alright, so once I figure out how to check for spark and if I'm not getting a spark, I'll try the visual rocker arm check and let you know. Sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Will report back when I get home from work, thanks guys.

Last edited by siroz99; 12-29-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Chubby Chaser

to check for spark pull a spark plug wire off, stick a screw driver in the plug wire and hold the screw driver about a 1/4 inch away from motor and have somebody turn engine over and watch inbetween the 1/4 in gap to see spark.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Alright, thanks. Will do that when I can get someone to come over and crank it for me.

Going to go take a look at the timing belt now. Service manual says I can remove the upper cover for the belt and get a good look at it. Hope I can see something, it's getting dark, might have to push this back to Thurs when we get off work early and have the next 3 days off.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Chubby Chaser

just take the distributor cap off and turn the engine over and see if it spins, instead of trying to remove the timing belt cover. or like trustdestruction said take the oil cap off and turn the engine over and look inside and see if you can see the rocker arms moving, if the timing belt is broke the head will not move.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, been really busy. I just got home and I'm trying to squeeze in some diagnosing time before I have to go out and visit friends/family for new years eve. Hope everyone has a safe night!

Anyway, took off the oil cap and had the wifey turn the engine over. I saw what looked like some arms moving up and down. Does this mean the timing belt should be fine?

I am going to check for spark next but that may have to wait until tomorrow morning, I'm short on time :\

Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
gwl
HCF Member

It could have skipped a tooth on the timing belt and still move the rockers. You need to check for spark.

Quick Reply: '99 Civic not starting