Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic LX window troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If wiggling the wires makes it come and go, you need to replace the wires. Repeated flexing from opening the door breaks the copper on the inside. The bad wires still look OK on the outside. I think for about $70 you can buy a "door harness" which replaces everything in the door and plugs into the rest of the car at the door jamb.
this sounds like your best bet, or pop the door off and rewire what you need to yourself.

yes if wires break it can send the signal into another wire that is also broken.

To test the continuity, I am not sure where the wires run BUT they should stay the same color regardless, look at the wire color at the main switch and look at the wire color that gets to the motors, if they are the same color then that wire should have resistance through it.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If wiggling the wires makes it come and go, you need to replace the wires. Repeated flexing from opening the door breaks the copper on the inside. The bad wires still look OK on the outside. I think for about $70 you can buy a "door harness" which replaces everything in the door and plugs into the rest of the car at the door jamb.
Would it make sense for me to remove he harness and test the wiring first? If the damage is due to repeated opening of the door, wouldn't the harness from the doorjamb to the rest of the car be the section that's affected?

Last edited by simons81; 03-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by simons81
Would it make sense for me to remove he harness and test the wiring first? If the damage is due to repeated opening of the door, wouldn't the harness from the doorjamb to the rest of the car be the section that's affected?
yes and yes

if there is a plug after the door that isolates those wires, then just test all the wires from that plug to their respective destinations.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
yes and yes

if there is a plug after the door that isolates those wires, then just test all the wires from that plug to their respective destinations.
Cool, will do. Thanks much!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

Had a break from the rain here in Portland, Oregon and thought I'd continue this troubleshooting. So I removed the wiring harness from the driver side door and tested all the wires... all are good, they physically look good too... no cracking. However, I noticed that the plug that connects from the engine compartment to the door has a few wires popped out / broken. Obviously this is the problem. However, I have no idea how to reach this connector, or if it's even possible to repair it? It looks like I'd have to remove the front driver side fender to access the plug. Is this easy to do? Is the plug even repairable? I'd hate to have to buy a new one. I can't really see the extent of the damage with such limited viewing area... maybe the pins need to be pushed back into the plug... all I can see is a few open-ended wires covered in goo that aren't attached to the connector. Anyone have any advice? I attached some pics so you guys know which plug I'm referring to...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  424.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  395.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  199.8 KB

Last edited by simons81; 03-31-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Did a little research, this connector is apparently C556 on the floor harness. I found this guy's post: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...n-wires-89096/

He references this page to repair the 25-pin connector: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/di...15_a95-023.pdf

I'm thinking I'm going to try to remove the driver-side fender and repair this, maybe soldering it or what have you. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

Ugh, this thing looks like crap. Some of the plastic is brittle and cracking, other wires are broken at the tips. I'm wondering what I should do. I'd be open to suggestions. I'm also looking for pointers on removing the goo from the harness. Looking at the Honda guide to repair harness connectors, I'm hoping that the wires can be removed from the harness by placing a tiny screwdriver into the front side of the female connector. If anyone has experience with this type of thing, please let me know. Here's a pic of the damage:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  371.4 KB

Last edited by simons81; 03-31-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

So four wires were broken, total, all relating to power windows. I couldn't figure out how to de-pin the connector since all the holes were filled with that electric goo crud. So, I did things the ghetto way. I added about 9 inches of wire to all four broken wires, drilled a hole below the harness connector and ran them into the door and spliced them onto their prospective wires. Obviously this method kinda sucks because I had to clip a few wires from the door harness. Fortunately, all of the windows work now.

I've read a post or two on other forums about people finding the floor harness connector (C556) at a junk yard, cutting it off, and splicing the entire new connector on. I'm not sure how the door jamb could accommodate 25 butt connectors, or whatever means one chooses to splice. Anyways, all the windows work for now. If anyone plans on doing this in the future, you'll have to remove the bumper, driver-side side skirt, and the driver-side fender to access the connector. And of course, use the wiring diagram for the connector mentioned a couple posts back.