Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 LX Window Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 PM
HCF Member
Default 98 LX Window Track

Okay guys/gals. I did a search and found a little bit about the problem I'm having but I still have some questions! My d-side window is not rolling up the right way. Towards the back of the window, it moves about a 1 1/2" (hell of a gap) forward once rolled up all the way. In order to eliminate the gap I have to push the window towards the rear in order for it to roll up right. Anyway, I took the door panel off to see what was going on. I think there are 4 bolts in the middle of the door (2 top, 2 bottom) that keep the window in place. Made sure those where tight, even tried adjusting them but still a no go. I noticed while rolling the window up and down it looked like the nylon pieces the hold the window in the track were worn out. Is this a familiar problem or am I missing something here? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 11-25-2005, 10:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 98 LX Window Track

no one has dealt with this huh?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:15 AM

i have a 98 EX and i have that same problem i have to fix it about once every two weeks, the track keeps binding and then the window comes out of the track, now if the door is the same as mine, you need to take out the door handle and the door lock by removing one screw, and take the clip off the back. then take out the plastic arm rest peice that has the window switch in it by removing one screw, and take the clip off the bottom of that, then take off the speaker cover which will give you access to three screws, remove them and then take a screw driver and pop the clips that hold the panel in place, but be careful as to not break them, and remember to disconnect the speaker in the door. Now that you have the door panel off there should be a box inside that all the wires run to and it is held onto the door by two screws, remove them and let the box hang off to the side, then carfully remove the plastic so that you have access to the inside of the front window track. Now at the bottom of the door there should be a hole where the speaker is supposed to go but seeing as how you have the door panel off the speaker should be on the door panel. Now at the bottom of the door there is one bolt that you have to use a 10mm wrench to remove, remove that bolt and the track at the bottom should be loose. Put your hand into the bottom hole where the speaker was and the top hole where the control box was using the speaker hole, push the track as far forward as you can and with your other hand slide the window into the track, now this may take awhile but its the only way. once you have it back on track connect the window switch back up without haveing the door panel on and see if it works, if so tighten everything up and replace all the screws back in their original place and put everything back together. If everything goes right your window will go back up and it would of only taken about 20 min to fix

if you have any questions just let me kno

Old 11-25-2005, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

Thanks again for the reply! I'll give it a try here in the near future and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

bshaw, your not the only one! I have the same problem (98 EX Coupe)...This'll be a nice fix if it works 98EJ8! Thanks!!!

Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM

ya same here ive had the same problem since the day i bout my civic (98 ex coupe) and ive gotten so used to fixing it i could do it in my sleep, but i just tightened the hell out of the bolt so the track couldnt move and it doesnt do it as often

Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

Similar problem on my 96 LX 4door. My windows roll up really slow, which i have been told is common in hondas. I have adjusted the tracks many times. my sister has the same problem with her 97 coupe. I had a 97 never had the problem. You can also adjust the rear window track, gold bolt near the bottom rear of the door. a guy at honda also said they lubricate the window tracks to help the glass move smoothly.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

I have the same problem. I have learned that if you lower the window a little then stop the repeat it doesn't slide out of the track!!

Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

Wow, i swear i have seen this problem posted more than 20 times here within the last 6 months [8D][&:]. I too had the same problem and i had taken off the whole door panel, gotten the window back on, then adjusted the runners a bit. Keep in mind if i tighten them too much the window will stay on, but it wont go up, it will just bind and thats a really easy way to kill your motor. I finally just said screw it and took it to a local guy who owns a body shop. He tightened it up a very slight amount, then used locktite on the bolds to make sure they stay in the exact same position, then as Robzilla said, he put a small amount of lubracant on the tracks to keep it moving smoothly. You dont ever see the lubracant on the window though because its only on the edge and that part is always behind some sort of weatherstripping.

Best of luck though!

Evan

Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for all the relpies and suggestions. I have yet to mess around with it yet, but I will be very soon. I'll let ya know what happens........

Quick Reply: 98 LX Window Track