Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 LX Sedan - Jolts and Makes Bumping Sound Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Default 98 LX Sedan - Jolts and Makes Bumping Sound Sometimes

Hi guys,
I mentioned this problem before and wanted to ask some more questions about it and I can't find my post. I think it was confusing anyways.

I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan and I'm noticing a sound and a jolting feeling sometimes when I'm driving it. It's not when the RPM Tach is going back down to change gears..it's when I have my foot on the gas...and I slowly let my foot off of the gas a little bit...like..I'll be accelerating...then I'll stop accelerating quickly by lightening my foot while the rpm thing is going up..and I'll here a bump and I'll be jolted a little bit. It also happens when I make turns sometimes..I'll press on the gas to make a turn and when I get done with my turn it and let go of the gas, it will bump or jolt me. Like..when I accelerate...I'll accelerate and then see my speed be around where the speed limit is and I'll go to let off of the accelerator and that's when it bumps me. I'm getting my car looked at tomorrow. Now..there's nothing wrong with my car other than this..I mean...it drives very smooth..I don't have any check engine lights flashing..or any stalling..or any type of problem like that...my car starts..runs..and stops perfectly...

Now my question is..do you think that my transmission could be going? I sure to hell hope not. A lot of people said it was most likely the tranny mount. Can someone explain to me what the tranny mount is and why it would be making a bumping noise..and how would you go about fixing it?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Again..my car isn't dieing or having any other problems..infact..if this bumping thing is normal..I don't really mind it that much...I just want to make sure though.

Thanks.
Eric

Old 08-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Default RE: 98 LX Sedan - Jolts and Makes Bumping Sound Sometimes

wow..no reply yet...where are all the honda civic buffs?

Old 08-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Sacicons..anyone..will someone help me out? I'd really appreciate it!

Old 08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
mxs
HCF Member

well I do not know, but I'll bump it back up to the top for you. There was a thread a few weeks ago that might be a similar problem, hang on and I'll find it....

oh wait, here it is, and it's yours!
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_81831/tm.htm

Ok so I really can't help you, but is the problem now different than you described it before?
I would say, tell the mechanic what you told us, and say that "some guy you know" said it sounded like it might be a bad motor mount or tranny mount. Having an idea of what might be the problem -- even if you are wrong -- will get you further than just walking in and saying "it's making funny noises". That's the best advice I have, and good luck

Old 08-29-2005, 06:55 PM

well thanks for atleast reading it...I'm really looking for some help! here's a new development...

It really jolted and bumped bad today when I was trying to keep my car at around 10-15 miles per hour for a school zone..I have my foot resting VERY lightly on the accelerator to keep it around 15 miles per hour and it bumped/jolted kind of bad...it usually happens when I'm trying to either keep the car at a certain speed limit..or when I'm accelerating and see my speed reach the speed limit and then let off of the accelerator...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

i would do what MXS said. act like you have a clue, but whatever they do, get the old parts that they replace, so you know youre not getting screwed. if the mounts bad, youll see it by looking at it.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

sacicons..by reading my new development and using your expertise...do you think there's a problem with my transmission..or do you really think it's the tranny mount? Can you explain why it would be amaking a bumping noise and jolting me? I'm just confused..I know very little about cars...thanks so much for your help

Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

i would do what MXS said.
that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]