Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic ex rpm problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
HCF Member
Default 98 civic ex rpm problem

hi, all was doing some surfing and found you guys,.....and looks like a great place to learn thanks for letting me in..................so here goes i just bought this car from a guy that had a jdm motor and tranny replacement done to it and so on ,..when im going 70mph the rpms run about 3100 in the mourning especially but in the after noon on the way home it will run 3100 then just all the sudden drop to 2600 like it kicks in o/d and it will run at 2600 for a bit and just go back up or till i slow down and then it goes back and the strange thing is i think its a 4speed and i can count the gears and a 3100 its in 4th so i dont think they have o/d do they ??? and another thing it shifts a little hard from 2nd to 3rd more so when its cold and some times at random it takes a bit longer to start ,..on the norm its like 3 turn overs and then it runs and some times like 6-10 turn overs ,.........any help deeply appreciated......thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What engine was swapped in?

1) Drain the transmission fluid and refill with Honda or Honda-recommended ATF. Doing a drain and refill twice would be even better.

2) Any CEL codes?

3) How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
What engine was swapped in?

1) Drain the transmission fluid and refill with Honda or Honda-recommended ATF. Doing a drain and refill twice would be even better.

2) Any CEL codes?

3) How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?
not sure on the plugs,wires,cap, and rotor

i dont see any flashing lights ,..as for codes

and i did a (what honda of mckinney called a flush) drain it refill go though all the gears (i even drove it 6 miles) come back and drained it again ,..i did this 3 times,.....and that didnt do any thing,........on the first drain the plug had like a greasy mud like substance on it and when you push on it it would spike up and seemed to be kinda magnetic

and the motor i will get the number on it when i get to work and reply with that ,...........thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be the torque converter lockup not consistently working, that is sort of like having another "gear" beyond overdrive. When the converter locks, the engine rpm will drop. This increases mpg on the highway but the computer will unlock it when it seems necessary to have more power to accelerate or climb a hill.

The plug has a magnet to catch small bits of metal, there will always be some from normal wear.

Most people who swap the engine also convert the car to manual transmission, that is not complicated to do.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 AM
HCF Member

ok the motor says

d15d

and the tranny

.1hg j8242ylo78146

one other thing i noticed the temp on the gauge takes a long time to warm up and some times i dont ever get there ,.....could it be the temp outside and going 70 catching wind???? thanks for the help

Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Could be the torque converter lockup not consistently working, that is sort of like having another "gear" beyond overdrive. When the converter locks, the engine rpm will drop. This increases mpg on the highway but the computer will unlock it when it seems necessary to have more power to accelerate or climb a hill.

The plug has a magnet to catch small bits of metal, there will always be some from normal wear.

Most people who swap the engine also convert the car to manual transmission, that is not complicated to do.
hmmm it that the one of the solenoids on the outside of the trans ??
i hear ya on the mpg im getting like 26 .......

i wish they did do the conversion id rather have the 5speed manual
just thought i got a deal on it so i just bought this one.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You will get bad mileage because the engine doesn't warm up. Replace the thermostat. (Note that on these cars, the thermostat is located where the LOWER radiator hose meets the engine, not the upper). Also the spark timing should be checked. Even with an automatic that doesn't lock, I'd hope to get in the 30 mpgs with a D15 engine.

I really don't know much about the automatics but I think it is a solenoid on the outside.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

Ok I will replace the thermostat ....is there a specific one ??? Like temp should I get.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You might want to figure out what ECU is being used. It's behind the passenger kick panel. Post a picture. You need an ECU for an automatic transmission because one for a manual transmission will create problems.

Does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II)?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

here are the pics ..........the d4 comes on for a sec and then shuts off is that what ur asking?

Attached Thumbnails 98 civic ex rpm problem-img00041-20100225-1222.jpg   98 civic ex rpm problem-img00042-20100225-1223.jpg  

Quick Reply: 98 civic ex rpm problem