Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 cx no start! Need some fresh input...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Default 97 cx no start! Need some fresh input...

My 5-speed 97 cx has been sitting in a field for about a year, has 177k miles. I want to get it running for the winter season, but it will NOT start.

The fuel pump does not prime, and there is no fuel pressure. The starter turns the engine over, but there is no spark.

I have tried to drift start it, but it wouldn't fire up. No guages light up when the key is turned to on, except for the srs light. That light has been on for years. Using a jumper cable to check for codes does nothing. When the PCM is removed, the car does the same thing-turn over no start. Opening up the pcm reveals no burns or anything su****ious, but shouldn't the oil/seatbelt/CEL com on when the key is turned to on?

The car ran for me about 2 mos. ago, but would rhythmically stall and come back on when idling. Not a rough idle, but instead a complete shutdown of rpms about every 2 seconds.

I have replaced the plugs/wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, battery, main relay, and upstream O2 sensor.

This car is in rough shape, but I bought it new and I've been thru a lot with it. I want to fix it, but I'm getting frustrated. Don't want to buy a PCM if I don't have to. I have a multimeter, but don't know hat to test to assure the PCM is getting power. The PCM ground on the thermostat housing is good.

Sorry for the long post-I've spent quite a few hours on this problem, and have hit a wall. Thanks for any help!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Default RE: 97 cx no start! Need some fresh input...

Got it. It was the work of a rodent(s) that chewed many wires.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Default RE: 97 cx no start! Need some fresh input...

why would you let your car sit for a year if you already had it? and if you just bought it, why would you buy a car that doesnt start?