Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 civic electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Default 97 civic electrical issue

hey there i am having a issue with the d4 light on my 2dr 97 civic automatic.

this problem started after installing the car alarm so it is now disconnected but the d4 light is still there.

the alarm has been removed fully

what happens is when you turn the ignition on before start position, the d4 light comes on while the fuel pump and something in the passenger feet hums/clicks. once the fuel pump turns off the d4 light goes out and everything is fine and the car runs fine so do you have any suggestions

Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 AM
HCF Member

I have a 97 but its a standard not auto....

My guess is that for the alarm to work, it will check to see if it is in D. The alarm should only work when its in P. I know you said you removed it, but double check to see if you had to splice/cut any wires. If you did triple check to make sure everything got connected back where it should be.

Also, when working on installing or removing any electronics in your car its best to have the negative battery cable disconnected to prevent sparks and shorts.

Speaking of which, does your check engine light stay on once you've started the car? It will come on for a few seconds when you start it but it should go out within 2-3 seconds. If it stays on you will need to have the trouble codes read.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 PM

no there is no engine light on and the car runs fine and all the wires where connected back to stock and the only question i have is what is behind the kick panel on the passenger feet as that is where the clicking happens and then that d4 light goes out