Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Civic Power Acc Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:13 PM
HCF Member
Default 96 Civic Power Acc Issues

Ok, this is my son's car so I don't worry to much about it but this is a wiring issue that seems to be getting worse.

Started out that the passenger window stopped working. I can power it up at the wires and raise it and lower it so it is not the motor. At around the same time, the drivers power mirror stopped. About 3 months ago the power door locks stopped working...when you hit the power lock it will lock the driver's door but not the other doors. About a month ago, the driver's window stopped working....again, I was able to power it with a jumper to get it raised. I checked the fuses and the switches (replaced the driver's switch with a donor switch).

I am guessing there is a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to start chasing that.

Any ideas?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

I don't know if Honda's have a specific problem but if the car is older or higher milage I would suspect that the short could be in the bundle of wires between the driver's door and the body of the car. Also double check the connections between the harness and the controls in the driver's door. Not sure what else to tell you. Best of luck (I hate tracking down wiring issues....)

Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

Me too....the windows started working last night and they worked the better part of today...but now they have stopped again....gonna have to get the meter out and start checking wires.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Open the driver's door and wiggle the wire bundle around see if it makes it start and stop. I think that everything passes through that bundle even stuff related to the passenger door.