Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 DX Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 AM
Default 95 DX Idle problem

OK I’ve got a 95 civic hatchback with the 1.5l (D15B7). The car normally starts & runs perfect. A couple of weeks ago the engine would quickly go back and forth from fast idle to slow idle and back again for about 3 minutes when I first started it in the morning (outside temp around 70degF). This has stopped for now but now every once in awhile it is very hard to start in the morning. Also it stalls quite a lot at idle. I just took it on a 500 mile, mostly highway, trip and it ran great but when I stop its like I just turn the key off, it just quits. No chugging at all just off. Then it starts right back up again. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM

OK I was wrong with the description of the stalling. It does chug a bit then quits. I was stopped today with the wind blowing from the rear of the car and smelled a lot of fuel when it quit running. Now I'm thinking its being flooded at idle. What would cause that?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Helimech
What would cause that?
bad o2 sensor, poor spark, messed up fuel injector dumping in too much fuel
just to name a few possibilities

Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Default Fixed!!!!

Well after removing and cleaning the IACV and the FITV I installed a different ICM from an old distributer I had replaced last year for not starting. The car would now not start at all. I then had Autozone check both of the ICM's I had and they found one bad and one good. I then installed the good one (the one that was in the car) and started the engine. When it stalled after it warmed up I found that if I quickly checked for a spark when the enging stalls I did'nt have one but all the voltages to the ICM were good. The coil ohm checked out ok with the ohm meter but I bought a new one anyway since Autozone did not have a tester that would actually heat up the coil to see if it was breaking down. This new coil worked!!! I always thought that when a coil breaks down when it warmes up that either the primary and secondary fields would be out of spec but mine were right on even in the failed condition. I guess it needs the 12 volts to fail and not just the meter voltage. Anyway I'm back in the saddle again. JC