Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 coupe cooling system leak...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
HCF Member
Default 95 coupe cooling system leak...

i've gota 95 civic dx coupe, with a d15b7 in it...my coolant has been leaking like crazy, and more than a couple times, i've had to drive with steam pouring out from my hood..but anyways..i think i've narrowed it down to a hose...but i'm trying to find out what kind of hose it is..
it runs from the engine block, underneath the distributor, towards the firewall on the passenger side.
Does anyone know what the name of this hose is? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 95 coupe cooling system leak...

If it connects to a fitting on the firewall iteslf, or the little water valve mounted to the firewall, it's a heater hose.

The spot you describe (under and slightly behind the distributor) is the thermostat housing and it is kind of a nexus where many hoses connect. There is a U-shaped one that heads back initially, but connects to the intake next to cylinder 4, that is the bypass hose. Also a bunch of little hoses that feed the intake to preheat it a little so it'll run better in cold weather. Any of these can be leaky and it's equally bad.

If you keep driving with steam pouring out, you really risk burning up your engine. Even if the temperature gauge isn't all the way to "hot."

Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

ok.
i'll tryto get a picture up on here, with the hose, to be more specific about it...

If you keep driving with steam pouring out, you really risk burning up your engine. Even if the temperature gauge isn't all the way to "hot."
yeah, i know, i was actually driving home to see what was wrong with it. right now, i'm driving my mom's van...(bluh)

Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM

there are only3 hoses for our radiators, upper and lower hosesand thevery small/thin hose that leads from the reservoir to theradiator.. the upper connects from the top of the radiator to the head. the lower connects to the lower part of the radiator to the thermostat. before u go buy a new hose, inspect it carefully for cracks/holes while the car is running. if u dont see coolant spraying from the hose, check the hose clamps, one of them may be loose and all u may need it a new clamp. also inspect ur radiator carefully, could be punctured.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

alright, it ended up just being a burst hose that was spraying antifreeze/coolant everywhere, so it was an easy 20 dollar fix.
thanks for all the tips!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
gwl
HCF Member

If you have one hose that went bad,I would check the condition on the other hoses.