Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 DX Starting issues (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
HCF Member
Default 94 DX Starting issues (video)

So last Wed I started my car in the morning for school with no issues. It fired right up as usual. When I went to leave school, it really struggled to start and stay running for the first minute then ran fine.
It has gotten progressively worse over the last few days, taking longer to start when cold. After the engine warms up, it starts right away. After it cools down (2 hours or so) it's hard to start again.
I have recently changed (about a month ago) the plugs, cap, rotor, IACV, FICV, and most gaskets. Checked the plugs and they look fine, all looked the same. Pulled the wires and added dielectric grease to both ends of the plug wires, the rotor, and injector plugs. No change.
Below are 2 recording of starting the car this morning. The first video is the first time starting. I shut the car off and in the second video, restarted the car twice. I never touched the gas pedal in either of the vids.
(on a positive note, the car did not stall after any of the starts which it has done a couple of times in the last few days)

Any thoughts on if it's the relay, fuel pump or coil? Battery seems fine.

Video 1

Video 2

Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Try filling the fuel tank to full and see if it is any easier to start. It seems like it isn't getting fuel. Try priming the fuel pump several times before you start it and see if that helps.

Check all of the grounds to make sure they have a good connection and that there isn't any corrosion.

Obviously it isn't the starter and it doesn't seem to be the battery either.

Josh,

Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

I tried tapping the gas. Made no difference. I tried priming several times. No difference.
At school, I turned the key to the on position and left it for about 20 seconds or so. Seemed to start a little faster but I was also parked on a hill. Will try it again tomorrow in the garage.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

replace or resolder your main relay, there is a diy on it.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

I re soldered it yesterday. Was really hoping that would fix it but no change at all.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Chubby Chaser

jump the ecu cel plug and then try to manually turn distributor slowly each direction while starting to see if it starts.

also what color is your spark
and have you changed your fuel filter yet?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

The car starts. It just takes about 13 seconds. One warm it starts immediately.
The filter was changed within the last month.
Haven't checked the spark color.
I have rotated the dizzy both directions. (I do need to time it from the head gasket change) It idled better but made no change in the starting time.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

I pulled the fuel line off at the fuel rail. Got a strong flow of fuel the second the key was turned.
Pulled all of the plugs. Each was getting a consistent spark. Color appeared to be a white/blue spark, but not positive on that.
Will try to pull off the fuel rail and see if the injectors are opening correctly.
Also, car is starting to stall more after starting. May stall once or twice. When I give it gas, it bogs for a second, the revs. Release the pedal, press it again and the engine bogs then idles. After about a minute of idling it is fine again.

Last edited by TiggerDX; 01-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

A way long over due update on this. I have replaced the injectors, the plug wires, coolant temperature sensor, distributor, swapped the old IACV in to see if that made a difference. No change with anything. Still a struggle to start, will bog down and die if I don't keep the idle up for about 20-30 seconds. Once past that point, idles and runs fine.
Sprayed starter fluid all over the engine while idling. Absolutely no change.

Ran out of money to mess with it so will update again if I ever get a job and can afford to fix this beast. Otherwise it runs great and gets decent mileage.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

Just an update. Got the car back from the mechanic today. After going through all the different levels of trouble shooting and checking sensors and fuel injection cleaning and valve adjustments and everything else, it was finally determined that the issue was a problem with the ECU. Replaced it with a used one and it fires right up.
Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 94 DX Starting issues (video)