Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic wont start, CEL just prior

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

i checked for spark and its good. So now im out of ideas...check for fuel? Im in uncharted waters here.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Was the spark bright bluish or weak orange in color?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Check the mechanical timing (i.e., the cam and crank may be out of sync due to the timing belt slipping).

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

^^spark did appear white or blueish. I stuck a screwdriver in the sparkpug wire socket and held the screwdriver shaft 1/8" away from chassis ground. Did this for all 4.

Yes, i can hear the pump prime quite audibly when the key is turned to acc2 position. I have not confirmed fuel delivery.

allright, i'll check the mech timing...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

dammit...my manual clearly shows the inspection window is located on the front of the engine, where the block and the gearbox bellhousing meet...but i cant find it. I need to locate to determine tdc. 94 civic cx, is it in a differnet spot or am i on glue?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

To check the cam timing, you need to remove the valve cover and then the upper timing belt cover. TDC1 for the cam gear is when the arrow points UP and the two side marks align with the top of the head (view the latter from the distributor side of the cam gear). TDC1 for the crankshaft pulley is when the pointer on the lower timing belt cover aligns with the lone white mark separated from the group of three marks on the edge of the pulley.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

OK... I think I got it now. My haynes manual was misinforming me. To verify crankshaft pulley is at TDC1 i need to access indicator from timing belt side of motor, so wheel comes off, and splash guard, i'll pop off the inspection plug and index crankshaft to tdc1. If camshaft pully marks are horizontal then mechanical timing is good. Its late and i need to get a 18mm 1/2" drive socket to proceed. Saga continues tomorrow. Thx RonJ

Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by flattire
...so wheel comes off, and splash guard, i'll pop off the inspection plug and index crankshaft to tdc1...i need to get a 18mm 1/2" drive socket to proceed.
You don't need to do any of these steps to check TDC1 synchrony of the cam and crank. All inspection is done from above.

I also think that the crankshaft pulley bolt is 17-mm.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

You don't need to do any of these steps to check TDC1 synchrony of the cam and crank. All inspection is done from above.
in order to check the crankshaft is at TDC, i need to line up the markings that are on the crankshaft pulley itself to the timing belt cover markings. So without accesssing from the wheelwell, how do I get a line of sight too see the markings line up?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by flattire
in order to check the crankshaft is at TDC, i need to line up the markings that are on the crankshaft pulley itself to the timing belt cover markings. So without accesssing from the wheelwell, how do I get a line of sight too see the markings line up?
I think the splash guard has an access hole through which the crankshaft pulley bolt can be turned with a wrench. If correct, then removal of the splash guard and wheel are not required, though it might give you more access to the bolt. With the front end on stands, this is the only part of the procedure that is done from below the engine. Note: Only turn the crank pulley counterclockwise as you face the pulley.

TDC1 for the crankshaft pulley and camshaft gear are done from above:

Name:  picture_1901.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  82.7 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 01-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

allright, so the mechanical timing is good. With crankshaft pulley at tdc1, the cam gear marks are horizontal (line up with the head) and the "top" mark is up. Rotor points to Cylinder 1.

Timing belt is overdue so I'm going to change it tonight. The car still needs diagnosing, my feel is fuel. I picked up a new fuel filter, will install later.

Is there a recommended method for diagnosing the fuel system?

Quick Reply: 94 civic wont start, CEL just prior