Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic wont start, CEL just prior

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
HCF Member
Default 94 civic wont start, CEL just prior

Hi all, I searched for threads but couldn't find one related to my predicament. My 94 civic cx has been running like a top since I got it at ~200kms. Its now over 300kms and I had the CEL light come on for the first time ever on the way home from work.

Like a good boy, i parked the car and did some reasearch how to figure out the cel code, but wasnt 100% where to find the connector that i needed to jumper. Well the next day came fast, I had to go to work and now the car wont start. Car cranks over fine, i checked the timing belt isnt broke, the motor almost wants to start sputtering but no deal. I suspect this has something to do with the cel as timing is very su****ious...what should i do?

When I turn on the key to acc, the cel goes away after a few seconds. Did I miss my chance to get the code? Can I still get a code without the cel on? Or does this have nothing to do with a cel? faaaak!

I need your help wise forum members....

thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

I had the same problem awhile ago it ended up being my valve clearance, It only takes about an hour to do plus its free if you have the right tools... Might not be whats wrong but it wouldnt hurt to take a look... just my 2 cents....

Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

Did the car start running any different when the CEL came on as you were driving? Can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The code should still be stored. It is normal for the light to come on and go out like that. If there is a code it would come on again after the engine is running, that is if it is in condition to start.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

Did the car start running any different when the CEL came on as you were driving? Can you hear the fuel pump prime?
Car was running just fine prior to the CEL coming on and during the drive home with the CEL on car ran fine. Yes I can hear the fuel pump prime when acc is turned on.

Yeah my valves probably need clearances check but I doubt it would all of a sudden prevent engine from starting. Could the fuel pump have pooched it even though i hear it priming?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1) The CEL link in my signature describes how to find the service connector and to retrieve the CEL code(s). Post the codes if you want feedback.

2) Have you checked for spark at each of the plugs?

Last edited by RonJ; 01-21-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

update:

cel flashed 1 long, then 7 short...so 17.
according to your legend 17=VSS vehicle speed sensor.

hmmm

is that the device on the gearbox that relays speed info to the car?
if it is I replaced it last year because my speedo intermintently works and i though that might fix it. See link below, thats what I installed. The plot thickens. But why would the car not start then? Cheap aftermarket gadget fails and limits car undrivable? is this possible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM

i don't think speed sensor would cause the car to not work.
well, maybe in an automatic, idk.

if you replaced the VSS with that 18.99 ebay part it probably went bad again.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

^^yeah my bad for using a ghetto part. I'll replace with a proper honda oem unit. My bigger problem however is my car is still not starting, I'll be checking im getting spark tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for spark and get the car running before giving the VSS anymore thought. When the car runs again, reset the ECU. The VSS code possibly may not return.

If you have both spark and fuel, then check whether the timing belt slipped.

By the way, you should hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to ON(II) not ON(I)/acc.

Last edited by RonJ; 01-22-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 94 civic wont start, CEL just prior