Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic vx

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Default 94 civic vx

Hi all,
I've read through some posts here and have found problems similar to mine. My car will start and run for 10 to 15 mins then stall. If I let it sit for 10 mins it will fire right up. The car tends to bog down if I have 3/4 tank of gas or better. I've replaced the starter, distributer, main relay, fuel filter, bypassed the starter relay, axles, all in the past 3 months and dont want to dump much more money into it. any ideas?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When the engine won't start, listen for whether the fuel pump primes for a few seconds when the key is turned to ON (II) without cranking the engine. Also check for spark at all four plugs.

Is the CEL ON?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 AM

The car doesn't have a cel. I have tried to listen for the fuel pump but couldn't hear anything. Would the pump cause intermittent problems like that?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It is possible.

Is the main relay new? Inspect the main relay and fuel pump connectors. Check whether the fuel pump connector gets power when the ignition key is turned to ON (II):

Name:  picture_1465.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  97.5 KB

Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 AM

The main relay is no more than 3 months old.....So jump the 2 wires in the main relay and check those same two at the fuel pump?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, but check for voltage between the YEL/GRN and BLK wire at the fuel pump. Do the test only when the engine won't start. Keep in mind that interpretation of the test results may be tricky due to the fact that the problem is intermittent -- so repeat test multiple times.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM

ok, found a couple problems, first the cel light is out so I got a new one but haven't had the chance to replace it yet. I was finally able to recreate the problem. When the car stalls out, I get no spark so I'm thinking distributor which sucks because its fairly new, and I'm sure I dont have my receipt...

Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Before you purchase anything, replace the CEL bulb and then check whether you can retrieve a CEL code from the ECU (see CEL link in my signature).

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 AM

Yeah I printed the whole link out the other day. I ran out of light last night so thats where I'll start today after work. Thanks for the info, I'll post any updates..

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Ron thanks again for the info,
Autozone swapped out my distributor under warranty, got the car fired up and ran good. I also swapped out the cel light, and as soon as I got on it the light came on. Came home, jumped codes, and came up with 48, o2 sensor. Got that comming from a friend so we'll see what happens...