Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic EX Scraping Noise from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM
HCF Member
Default 94 Civic EX Scraping Noise from wheels

Hi,

I've been browsing the web quite a bit on this issue and I keep seeing the same thing come up as a result. That is, when I come to a stop or am coasting to a speed bump after I've released my brakes, I get this horrible metal to metal scraping sound. Everything I've read thus far points to a pebble or stone being lodged between the rotor dust shield and the rotor.

I pulled all four wheels off today and couldn't find anything. All of the rotors and brake pads look fine as they haven't been on there that long. I did try and bend the shields back just a little by hand so see if anything would fall out. The only thing that fell out was some small pieces of rust particles.

I put it all back together and took for a drive. Didn't seem as bad, but still making the noise. Just looking here to see if anyone can give me any other ideas on what to try. Should I pull the brake pads and calipers off to see if anything might be hidden under it?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

Take off the brakes pads & rotors and look for any stones or rocks in & around that area. Also look for any freshly scraped areas everywhere, but on where the rotors meet the pads. There has to be something scraping against something down there...all you have to do is find it.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

So from your response it does sound like I'm on the right track, but just didn't go far enough. I just drove it and the sound wasn't any better, so my efforts today were pretty much worthless. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

One more question. If you spin the wheel while up on the jack stands and the emergency brake is off and the car is not in gear, should it spin totally free of resistance? I did spin them and could hear a very slight amount of resistance at one spot in the revolution, but still couldn't see anything around the dust shield causing the loud metal to metal scraping sound that I get when driving it. Again the resistance was very minimal at one spot and I think that was from the pads still being attached.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 AM
HCF Member

........Are you talking about the Drum brakes(rear) or the regular front brakes with the rotors? The front rotors should NOT spin at all when you have it in PARK because the brake pads hold the rotors. The E-Brake is for the Rear brakes if you have Drum Brakes.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 AM
HCF Member

My EX is a 5-speed. It doesn't have any drum brakes. When I lifted the front end and spun the wheels with the emergency/parking brake dis-engaged and the car in nuetral (wheels chocked), I could spin the wheels it seemed like there was one spot in the rotation that you could here a slight shhhhh sound. I'd say it was 99 percent free to spin with no contact at all. I think I got the same with the rear wheels. Just want to know if this is normal and the pads could be touching ever so slightly.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

Ok, I took off work today to get to bottom of this scraping sound. The wheel that I had original thought to be the culprit was indeed where it was coming from. Anyhow, I had my brakes on the rear done about 8 months ago and this was on the drivers side rear wheel.

Anyhow, the inside pad was down worn down metal to metal and the rotor is shot because it is too thin to have turned down. Minimum is .31 inches on this car's rear wheels I barely had .3 inches.

Never done this before, so please bare with me a second... My next question is do I replace just the one bad rotor and one bad pad? The outside pad is in great shape at the driver's side rear wheel where the problem is. Also, the rotor and both pads are good on the passenger side rear wheel. Any ideas how the rotor on one side could be worn down like that and not the other side at the same time?

Just looking for some answers, because I know you guys are the best.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

You should replace both sides of pad and rotor

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM
HCF Member

Any tips as to how to get those rotors off? I've tried an impact driver to loosen and nothing happens. I almost want to believe they are left hand threads as tight as they are...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

Nevermind the last post, I found a youtube video and it worked.

However, I've run into a new problem. I can't seem to get the pins with the rubber grommets out. One moves freely and the other seems stuck. Is there an easy way to get these out?

Quick Reply: 94 Civic EX Scraping Noise from wheels