Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic A/C - Done All I Can Without Posting My Own Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Default 94 Civic A/C - Done All I Can Without Posting My Own Thread

I bought a 94 civic 3-1/2 years ago with an A/C that doesn't work. Now that summer's almost over, i have decided to try and fix it. I've gotten closer based on the advice from other threads, but now I'm not sure what to do.

When I started, the condenser fan would kick on, but the pulley on the compressor would not spin, though I could turn it by hand with the engine off. The wire connector going into the low pressure switch was filled with grease. I cleaned it out, and low and behold, the compressor pulley began to spin off and on.

I filled the system with refrigerant up to the recommended pressure, and now the compressor spins steadily. The only problem is, I'm still not getting cold air.

What should I check now? Maybe the thermostat behind the glove box? I am on virtually no income right now, so I can't afford to take it into a shop, but I would at least like to know what is wrong with my system.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's a TXV system, it will not cycle off and on because of lack of refrigerant. Symptoms of being low on refrigerant are that the compressor and fan run constantly, but pressures are low (especially high side), and there is little or no cooling effect.

If the car had zero pressure when you started you should find and repair the leak (NEVER use any sort of "stop leak"), then evacuate and recharge by weight-- then if it still doesn't work properly at least you know it is correct on charge amount. Then the pressure readings (high and low side) will be useful to diagnose.

Taking a low-budget approach to A/C work is almost certain to cost dearly in the long run. Equip yourself with the proper tools first, they will readily pay for themselves in one or two uses versus going to a garage.

Last edited by mk378; 08-18-2011 at 07:08 PM.