Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94/93 Civic son of Frankenstein! Yikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
HCF Member
Default 94/93 Civic son of Frankenstein! Yikes

Are y’all ready for a challenge? When I last left you, I was going to convert a 1994 Civic EX with auto transmission and 270,000 miles to my 1.5 liter, manual transmission from my wrecked 1993 Civic LX which was perfect at 150,000 miles. My fear was that I was going to have a son of Frankenstein with this swap, but I was led to some websites and postings that told me how to satisfy the backup lights, the key removal, and one other thing that escapes me now. The write-ups seemed comprehensive enough, so I submitted my car to a friend who has full access to a shop/lift/tools and could use the money. He followed the instructions to the letter, but now has a check engine light, a park lamp, and a maf sensor fail? It was hard to hear him, and English is his second language (he fled war-torn Iran with his family many years ago and is a wonderful family man and citizen of the United States) so I do not have all of this very clear yet. The car runs well, but as you know, I will not be able to live with these failure lamps illuminated.

Question: Does anyone, or collectively as a group, have good enough experience/understanding with schematics to sort out what other wires need ‘satisfied’ from the original auto tranny plug, and, how to satisfy them. For instance, ground this pin, tie this pin to +12vdc, etc? I would imagine that the mass airflow sensor fed back to the auto tranny for shift points at differing throttle positions but I am just guessing and throwing it out as an example.

My trusty Civic is so close to being resurrected from its New Years Eve crash that I can taste it, but I so need your help getting her across the finish line in pre-wreck regalia.

BTW, on the 4th of this month my backup car, a 1990 Honda CRX Si was wrecked, again no fault of my own, and the driver ran. I chased him down through 3 cities before the police caught up to us. The insurance carrier is claiming that he didn’t have authorization to drive, or some such nonsense, and I am wrangling yet again. Sigh. I am borrowing a car so getting back my Civic has taken on a completely new criticality. Just a side note, as I thought you may find it interesting.

Waiting with baited breath,

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You must swap the ECU to a manual one. Then just leave the transmission solenoid plugs unplugged. ECU must also match the engine being VTEC or non-VTEC. (OK to use non-VTEC ECU on VTEC engine-- no CEL but VTEC will not work).

Exactly which codes are being set?

There is no MAF (mass airflow) sensor. They use a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor system. The plugs on the MAP and the TPS are the same, and the wires are long enough that you can mis-plug them. The plug with one of the wires being solid white goes on the MAP sensor.

Last edited by mk378; 05-12-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

MK:

Thanks! Will try as soon as possible and get back.

Ed

Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
HCF Member
Default plot thickens

OK, I just learned that the 94 EX harness does not have a plug for the MAP sensor so it is currently unplugged. The idle surges unless the AC is on but then settles out? I have the old harness from the wrecked vehicle, but it is really involved as in behind the dash and goes to every fuse box, under hood plug, etc. Also, the ECU was jumpered from instructions received before, was that to disable the MAP? This really isn't looking good.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The 94 has a MAP sensor on top of the throttle body just like the 93 does. That sensor is essential to fuel control so don't expect it to run properly without it.

You should be able to swap the engine harnesses, it plugs in under the hood on both sides of the engine (generally when swapping an engine of the same generation, it is simplest to leave the harnesses, sensors, manifolds, etc. all in place on the "new" engine). But that should not be necessary. The MAP sensor plug has to be there somewhere.

Last edited by mk378; 05-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
HCF Member
Default map sensor and more

MK: You are correct, the MAP sensors are both on the throttle body, but are completely different component types with different connectors. The 1.6 liter and the 1.5 liter are pretty different animals. The harnesses that feed the sensors and lead to the ECUs are way different as well. At this time I am considering putting everything back to the way it was, that is a 1.6 liter automatic, albeit freshened with belts/hoses/tensioner/water pump/timing belt/etc etc before going back in. This has turned into my nightmare and I can't see a way out quickly and cleanly. I was in another car accident last night, this time wrecking my girlfriend's immaculate 2002 Lexus IS300. Albeit not my fault, still another wreck. I fear that they will total it as I managed to stop in time but was punted from behind and now the front and the rear of the Lexus is badly damaged. It was an eight car, one motorcyle pileup. The guy on the bike is ok.

I need a couple of days to clear my head, and the 1.5 is in the EX, but no map sensor hooked up and no way for me to tell what is what. Sigh.

Ed

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM

The MAP sensors should be exactly the same part between those two engines.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
July 2010 ROTM

man, im not religious, but i will pray for u. bad luck sucks bro, but i couldnt help but find ur terminology, "failure lights", a bit funny. good luck my man, wish i had some knowledge on the subject.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
HCF Member
Default continuing saga with a twinkle of hope

Firstly, thanks MBrent for the kind words. This has all been akin to trying to stay dry in a deluge, which has been flawed logic. I had to just resign myself to being soaked and wait for the rain to let up a little before trying to get dried off. It has been a helluva storm! (did I mention the divorce? – REALLY not going there) There is a lot of truth to the saying, “Life is not about waiting for storms to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain”, or in my recent case at least clinging so as not to be washed down the storm sewer(s).

OK, back to Honda business. Everyone was right. As it turns out though, there are actually two MAP sensors, on the D15B7 only, and of course, I am missing the connector for the second one in the receiving car body that started out as an EX. I think that I can splice the wires for the connectors C113 and C201 in the following order yel/red to yel/grn, wht to wht, grn/wht to grn/blu. If anyone wants to double check me I am more than happy to have y’all watch my back. As far as I can tell the connector C201 is somewhere on the right side shock tower.

I will keep y’all posted.

Blessings,

Ed in Dallas

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The D15B7 has only one MAP sensor. On the back of the throttle body is the TPS sensor (3 wire plug) and also nearby is the IACV (2 wire plug). If you have a harness for a VTEC engine on it, also near there will be the VTEC plugs that aren't being used now.

Assuming your harnesses are stock, you should not need to cut and splice ANY wires to make this thing work. It's the same generation, it will be plug and play!

Quick Reply: 94/93 Civic son of Frankenstein! Yikes