Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic strange odor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Default 93 civic strange odor

Hey all,
So, I filled my tank a couple days ago, and almost immediately my car started to smell like gasoline. At first I thought maybe a little bit got into the cabin on my hands or something, but the smell persisted over night, and now my cabin full on reeks of gasoline. The smell isnt present in my engine compartment, and it doesnt look like any of my fuel lines are leaking, nor does there seem to be any gas leaking around the injector o-rings. The smell seems to be coming from the trunk area, but there is no odor at all outside the car - even near the gas tank.
Since my fuel level isnt dropping off at a faster rate, and there arent any signes of leaking uder the car that Ive seen, I have no idea what the problem might be. Has anyone had this problem before, and if so do you have any advice on how to fix the problem?
I drive a 1993 Honda Civic Lx

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Does the smell seem to come from the trunk, or near the rear seats? The fuel pump is directly under the rear seats. The gasket may have a break in it. Just a guess though.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 PM

It seems liek the smell is coming from the trunk. I tried pulling my rear seat cushion to check on the pump but i cant seem to get the cushion out to check on it. The bracket it supposed to slide out and lift up but I cant seem to get it to cooperate

Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A gas smell right after filling could be a leak in the big pipe that goes up to the filler hole. But you should check the plumbing on the top of the tank also.

There is a bolt holding the cushion down. Look in the crack between the top and bottom cushions slightly left (driver's side) of the center. Remove the bolt then pull the back end of the bottom cushion up. It will tilt out and unhook at the front.

Last edited by mk378; 04-07-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond. I checked the fuel pump housing and it was intact, so I lifted the car and sure enough there were some resin stains around the fuel tank filler neck from where the gas had spilled and evaporated. I pulled off the plastic covering and all around that pipe is traces of evaporated gas, not to mention an odor like a gas tank itself.

I ordered the new part and I can install it tomorrow afternoon, thanks so much for your help guys I really appreciate it