Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'93 Civic stops while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Default '93 Civic stops while driving

It recently happened about 5 times that while driving my 93 Civic DX, it just stops. I was able to start it right away again each time except for this last time. It just died in the middle of an intersection and wouldn't restart after a few tries. Had it towed and today it has been starting fine with no stalls. My mechanic hasn't been able to figure it out. Any ideas?
(Also, I recently returned from a highway road trip, 300 miles each way, and I didn't have any stalls then. There was one instance in town when it felt like the car was going to stop, but I thought that was because the gas tank was almost empty - although that's never happened before.)

Old 09-14-2005, 01:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: '93 Civic stops while driving

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Auto or Manual? What did it sound like when you tried to start it? Have you done anything to it recently? How long since a tune-up? It had gas right? What did it do when it died? Did it sputter or just kill? Were you running the AC wide open?

Little more info please.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks.
It's auto. It just sounded how it usually does when I tried to start - except really short, then I'm pretty sure there was no sound like the battery was dead. But red warning lights were on - I think the battery and oil lights. I have oil changed at mechanic every 3000. This last time I realized there was too much oil, because it only takes 3.5, so before my road trip I had the extra .5 drained. It doesn't have AC.

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Auto or Manual? What did it sound like when you tried to start it? Have you done anything to it recently? How long since a tune-up? It had gas right? What did it do when it died? Did it sputter or just kill? Were you running the AC wide open?

Little more info please.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Something similar happened to me once, and it turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. It would run, but stall sometimes, and I felt a loss of power at times.

Check out your cat.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:15 PM

the same thing happend to my friends accord. it was a vacume leak and computer combo. but fixable. hope you get it back on the road!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the idea. My regular mechanic kept it for two days and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked him about the catalytic convertor but he said it wouldn't be that. Very frustrating, but if it stops again I'll have something else to ask him about now...it the meantime, it's kind of stressful to be driving...

ORIGINAL: dj_ipirate

the same thing happend to my friends accord. it was a vacume leak and computer combo. but fixable. hope you get it back on the road!

Old 09-20-2005, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

When it stalls is there a pattern? For instance you drive for roughly 5 miles and it dies.....or after a big bump in the road it dies?
I wanna say it has something to do with fuel delievery, like maybe the gas tank is under suction because the breather is clogged.(it would equalize when you shut off your motor allowing you to restart) Maybe a loose wire on the fuel pump that is causing an intermitent short or maybe something clogging the intake for the fuel pickup (i don't know how it could though) You can check for fuel flow with a little help from a friend. Basically when you turn ignition a click (not start) it will energize the fuel pump. If you loosen the fuel fitting up front you should have good flow while it tries to build pressure. Hmmm...
Please let us know if you find out what it is.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM

History: The first time it stalled was about 4 months ago. This happened while waiting in a restaurant drive-thru. It wouldn't start again. After sitting for about 20 minutes, it started, drove it to mechanic and I believe the ignition module was replaced (have to check paperwork to be sure). Mechanic didn't seem 100% confident that this would solve the problem. Everything was great until a few weeks ago when it stalled one morning as I was backing out of parking spot, but it started again right away. About a week ago, after I returned from a 600 mile roadtrip (with no problems), it stalled as I was backing out of another parking space, then started right away. Maybe a day or two later, it stalled after I had gotten about 5 blocks, while I was waiting at a light. A block after that at another light, it stalled again, and started right away. A block after that, same thing happened, but this time after I started, it stopped again, and then I wasn't able to start it again. Had it towed and mechanic couldn't find what was wrong with it after keeping it for two days. Have had it back for a few days, no stalls (yet).

ORIGINAL: Dogmeat

When it stalls is there a pattern? For instance you drive for roughly 5 miles and it dies.....or after a big bump in the road it dies?
I wanna say it has something to do with fuel delievery, like maybe the gas tank is under suction because the breather is clogged.(it would equalize when you shut off your motor allowing you to restart) Maybe a loose wire on the fuel pump that is causing an intermitent short or maybe something clogging the intake for the fuel pickup (i don't know how it could though) You can check for fuel flow with a little help from a friend. Basically when you turn ignition a click (not start) it will energize the fuel pump. If you loosen the fuel fitting up front you should have good flow while it tries to build pressure. Hmmm...
Please let us know if you find out what it is.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 AM
HCF Member

ewwww.....the plot thickens...forget the gas cap, that isn't it. Sounds more like some sort of intermittent pump stoppage. No gas no run. Turns over good, maybe when it happens at an good moment (like there really is one right?) you could check for spark when it's turning over. Maybe Mr.Mechanic didn't get the wires totally seated right. Hmmm[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Going through the exact same thing. Has anyone found the solution to this problem, Or am I destined to take this to a dealer.

Quick Reply: '93 Civic stops while driving