Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'93 Civic Si coupe tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Default '93 Civic Si coupe tranny problems

Hey there,

I got a 93 Civic Si Coupe from a buddy of mine a little while back because he wanted his parking spot at his apartment building back(drunks kept hitting his grand am when it was parked on the street). It needs a little body work (which isn't that big of a deal) and something's wrong with the transmission or the clutch.

It will start and run perfectly fine, but there is no feedback from the clutch. When i push in the pedal it doesn't spring back up to my foot, and its impossible to put it into gear. I'm thinking it might be one of three things. The clutch cable, the clutch itself, or the transmission.

Is there anyone out there who could possibly know what exactly is wrong with this car? I'd like to do all the work myself because this is going to be my project car once summer hits.

Any feedback on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There is no cable. The clutch is hydraulic, like the brakes. The first thing to check is to see if there is any fluid in the reservoir on the firewall under the hood. It's in front of the clutch pedal and much smaller than the brake fluid reservoir (the brakes are an entirely separate system). If the fluid is gone, refill (with brake fluid) and check for leaks. Commonly it will leak from the master cylinder and run down inside the car, or from the slave cylinder that is mounted on the front of the transmission.

After the system has run dry, you usually need to bleed the air out of it-- like bleeding brakes-- to make it work again.

Last edited by mk378; 02-19-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM

ahh mmkay i didn't think of that well when all the snow melts i'll have to see if that works before i got the there was about $600 worth of work done to it so that i could pass inspection and be insured got all new bushings, new muffler and tip, brake pads and rotors, and new tires. and now by the sounds of it this fix may be alot easier than i thought it would be